347 Broke In but Still Some Issues Thanks

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hey guys, so got her running today, had the engine turned by hand to 10 degrees advanced, and set the dist. to the first spark plug, but my dad (father's day) helped me out and pointed out that I could have the distributor on the 1st, on the wrong stroke, so ya, after I fixed that and made sure it was on the compression stroke started right up!

Anyways.... lol... so I was having trouble with two error codes, code 82 and 96, so in trying to fix these codes I still have the a9l not completely up there so undid the connector and checked the wiring of both the pin 19, from the mass air conversion which I assumed could be causing the error. Apparently with the mass air conversion if you don't hook up the pink/black wire from the fuel pump relay to pin 19 you could get a computer code error, so I assumed that that could be causing code 96? Anyways unless I have this all wrong, I think I have 19 in the right place, near the thicker black wires beside the black wires at the end which I was pretty sure was 20. But checking that, looks like the other pins from the thermactor system could have been wrong, which I think were something like 32 and 38 or something. So I moved those, and think I pulled out one wrong wire which I put back. Anyways, once I felt everything was back to normal, checked the error codes, and stopped getting the cylinder count 8, and code 11.

So there could be a number of issues, one is that I have wiring wrong, which I am going to check first thing tomorrow with a schematic with wiring colors, which I am going to go through one at a time to make sure everything is right.

Next possible issue could be that by accident when I went to fix these two errors, which when I checked followed the 8 flashes, then 2 flashes for comp okay, then got the two codes, then when I went to fix them, forgot to unplug the battery. So could that have done damage to the computer which could cause the lack of the cylinder count and code 11. What a pain but I'll figure it out... Worst case and I will get a new computer, but the thing that makes me think the comp is okay is that I had it running and took it for a drive up and down the street...

Any reasons why I wouldn't be getting code 11 and cylinder count?

• Sponsors (?)

Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral when you dump the engine running codes.

The cylinder count would be a 4 displayed when you dump the engine running codes.

Okay so I may have dumped the engine running codes, I really am not sure what to do now and am really frustrated. I tried again to dump the engine running codes, and made sure a/c was off, which I have eliminated anyways, and the car was in neutral. It's a t5 so I would have had it in neutral. So I also made sure it was in neutral when I did the engine off error code check.

I took the harness off and went through and can't see anything wrong with the wiring, one pin was pushed back a bit, so I made sure it was in there good, and went through to make sure pins I moved were in the right place. Put it back together and now still getting the same thing. I am excited it is running, and will fire right up, I checked the tps voltage which is about .8. Cause it is idling kinda high, I will refer to the surging idle checklist once I work out these codes, and I know I should adjust the timing a bit.

So still getting code 96 with engine off tests, with no cylinder count or code 11.

With engine running test I am still getting code 4, and that's it.

Does it need to run for a certain amount of time before I can get engine running codes again, since I dumped those codes? I thought it should just go through the test to get those codes. I also checked to make sure the wiring was right for the self test, and diagnostics, and everything looks good.

Could there be something wrong with the computer itself, I know it's likely the wiring.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

The code 4 is the identifier for an 8 cylinder computer. The engine running codes will dump after the computer tries to test the EGR function. No codes means it can't find anything wrong. I have seen the 11 code flicker faintly enough that it could easily be missed.