347 cams whats everyone using???

92notchback347

Jan 1, 2005
I'm running a Comp Cams XE274HR 224in/232ex .555/.565 w/112LS. I love the power of this motor, but i'm curious if anyone is running a little more duration and is still happy with drivability? Anyone with a XE282HR running a 347 stroker with some equvalent parts to mine let me know. I wonder if using a cam with 232in/240ex would give a little extra without sacrificing more if anyone knows what i mean.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're gonna do the swap I would suggest a custom grind cam. I have a lot more duration than you and my car drives excellent.

That intake has to go though, its WAY too small for good power. I'd suggest a custom cam from fti, hitech motorsports or a cam from AFM, an rpm II manifold and matching valve springs for the cam. Now you're gonna be way short on injector so you'd need to step up to a 30 or 36lb injector. What do you have for exhaust?

Its all about the combination so in this case changing just the cam will show gains but you have other restrictions prohibiting you from making good power.

I know the intake is dead around 5300 but i rarely buzz it past 5500 anyway. I have 1 5/8" Mac long tubes, 2 1/2" Mac h-pipe/muffs/tails. Plugs look golden brown no lean problems here. I'm thinking in the future to go with 3" exhaust 1 3/4" long tubes a SystemaxII and a little more duration from a cam, i dont need a custom cam im not that fussy. Thanks grn92lx what duration are you running?

That exhaust is decent for a mild 347. I still highly suggest a custom cam and matching valve springs. The holley manifold will work well too.

Any numbers on your current combo?

My @.050" duration is 236/242*.

I am using a TFS 2 cam. The engine runs good and is very streetable. However, I have to agree with the idea of a custom cam. If I had to do it over again I would have went that route.

Its something like 224/232 .544/562 I think its on a 112 lsa. I had one in a 94 cobra 306 FI car after having the TFS III first. The TFS II ran like a champ after custom tuning.

i am runing XE274HR on my 306 with the stock heads and intake and the car runs 13.45 with stock tires 17'' the car has lots of torque Xtreme energy cams are very good i love then they have lot or torque and hp's i would not change the can but i you whant to do it make a custom comp cam camshaft!

92notchback347 said:
I'm running a Comp Cams XE274HR 224in/232ex .555/.565 w/112LS. I love the power of this motor, but i'm curious if anyone is running a little more duration and is still happy with drivability? Anyone with a XE282HR running a 347 stroker with some equvalent parts to mine let me know. I wonder if using a cam with 232in/240ex would give a little extra without sacrificing more if anyone knows what i mean.

you are running the same cam as myself... my motor is a 331.. I love how it works..

I'm not sure if you would gain much with only the cam swap.. like others said u will need to change a few other things once go to a bigger cam..

As for a custom grind.. they are good but I have seen in a few cases.. some of the custom grinds are damm near the same as none custom grinds.. Do your research and look for a cam with the specs that would be right for u.. I'm sure there is one out there. Thats the same as a custom grind would give u. If not go get a custom grind..

Comp cam XE282HR, ported AFR 185 heads, ported Downs lower, 30lbers, 10.3:1 comp flat tops, 400/400 @ the RW, NA on 93 octane, daily driver.

That same cam w/ a 112 LC in the 347 with a set of Dart Windsor ported heads, flycut pistons to reduce comp ratio to 9.7:1 and 15 lbs of boost from a S-trim put down 611rwhp and 630rwtq on C116 race gas on a stock block.