347 first runs at track, think it should be quicker??

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Well I know with better launch technique this would be alot better, but I think its more the MPH that has me stumped.

60ft= 1.980
1/4= 13.33
MPH= 107.1

I thought I would be closer to 111-113 mph and even with the slow 60 foot I figured I could bust into the 12's.
Am I expecting too much for the first time out?, I was spinning when I would hit second gear also even with BFG DR's and off the line bad.
The car has not been dyno tuned or had a chip made yet, I was shifting at roughly 5700rpm.

• Sponsors (?)

Its really all in the tune and suspension. Ive never raced my combo with the supercharger but I have naturally aspirated, not tuned at all and with a crappy suspension. The car ran like 13.7 with slicks and its because the car was still tuned for the blower so it was pig rich with 8* initial and I had standard aftermarket control arms so no real traction. Raise the shift points and get it dyno tuned. Then get some slicks and some Megabite Jr's or equivalent.

the first time out can be tricky. you have to get used to the car a bit. like said before, tune that piano. you should be deep into the 12s @ ~110ish. work on launching and some traction next.

I agree you should be deep in the 11's

my buddy was hitting 13.5's in a heavy ass 89 vert with 240k miles, a bone stock longblock with ported lower, control arms, drag radials, pullies, cai, etc, so ya, something is seriously not right with your car. tune it

Considering this is the maiden voyage w/this combo not too bad as we all know you have to get used to the combo as a driver to get everything out of it.
There is nothing at all wrong with BFG d/r if you get some heat in them and drop the air pressure. I would play with air pressure,shift points, and fuel pressure. However only do 1 thing at a time. Your times will improve with seat time. Just my opinion but with the mph you should be low 12 border 11

And I would probably consider stepping up in inj. and mass air soon.

I was just looking through my log book and I was running 45psi and 15 degrees advanced with 18 psi on the tires. I was also reviewing the videotape my daughter did of the run and man was I spinning off the line and second gear. I took the fuel psi up once just messing around at the house and it started screwing up the idle but I think if I took it up gradually and went through the idle set procedure it would be okay. The plugs were definately on the lean side at the track. I did talk to ED and he suggested working on the launch and really try and get the 60 ft times below 1.80 at least. He said that should put me well into the 12's. I just got my shift light mounted today and am installing my new ramchargers fan system this weekend. I used to race years ago and now Im hooked again! The UPS man asks how shes running every time he drops off another Summit Racing box!
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it and keep it coming.

RIXX93GT--I would try more timing like 18* and I'm pretty sure your going to need more FP ..My first pass I ran a 104mph with 16*,went to 18* and ran a 107 consistantly then the following week went to 20* and ran a 109 with 48psi FP..You definately have more left in the combo just have to get some more seat time at the track and work on the tune..The dyno would be the quicker method but then the track teaches you how to get it to the groud..Good luck with her keep us posted