347 headgasket Question

mikenstang

May 12, 2003
CT
I just finished my 347 and fired it up. Unfortunatly the driverside head gasket is leaking coolent. I have Trickflow heads and used the trickflow gaskets correct torque with new ARP head bolts. I have no idea what happend.:shrug:

Anyway, I was looking for new gaskets and came across some with 4.030 bore size. It got me thinking that with a 347, maybe I was not supposed to use stock TF headgaskets. Should I be using another size or type of head gasket with the 347 and TF heads?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Those gaskets typically have a 4.08-4.10 bore so that I would not worry about but you may want to check.

Did you put sealant on the lower head bolts/studs, they enter water passages in the block, the upper holes are blind and only require moly lube or oil. If you didn;t that is you source of leak, use Black Permatex to seal the lower bolts/studs, if you have antifreeze already in the motor you need to try to get the threads clean before you attempt to seal them.

You can pull 1 at a time, and reseal them...just draing the coolant level down below the block level.

I did use PST thread sealer. I am pretty sure I put it on all the bolts. I will try to pull them and reseal before I pull the heads again. It only leaks when running and I can wipe my finger along the head to block seam and see the coolant coming out. Thanks

Well, I drained the block, pulled all the short outside head bolts (one at a time) cleaned the bolts and blew out the holes. I put Loctire PST thread sealer on them and retorqued to 85 Flbs. Plus a "little tug".

FIXED!! No more leaks.:nice: Whew.. That saved me bunch of work and $$.
Thanks for the help and advice..Now I am off to the TwEECer board to do some tuning.Thanks

Well, I drained the block, pulled all the short outside head bolts (one at a time) cleaned the bolts and blew out the holes. I put Loctire PST thread sealer on them and retorqued to 85 Flbs. Plus a "little tug".

FIXED!! No more leaks.:nice: Whew.. That saved me bunch of work and $$.
Thanks for the help and advice..Now I am off to the TwEECer board to do some tuning.Thanks

no problem, good luck!