347 or 351

wgpaintballer

Oct 7, 2005
Rite now im looking into engine ideas since im looking for a stall converter.. I either want to go for a 347 with nos or a 351 which i will spray too.. i may stroke the 351 but i still want to be able to drive it around town with high teens to low 20;s in mpg.. im looking for 11's if not 10s possibility.. hopefully high 300;s on engine at the rear wheel. it will also still be efi

• Sponsors (?)

If your going to spray it the 351 is a better idea, b/c the stock 351 blocks are far stronger than any stock 302 block. If you were to stroke and spray a 302 based motor, you would have to go with an aftermarket block.

The older 351 blocks are stronger. The newer ones, according to Rick91GT, are no stronger than a late model 302 block.

Stay 347 unless you're gonna stroke the 351. Same parts on each engine and the 347 out powers and out accelerates the 351.

You can easily make high 10 second power with a n/a pump gas 347 and not even need the squeeze.

If you dont have a bunch of 302 bolt-ons,the 351W will be cheaper to set-up.

You would be able to use the stock crank and rods (with ARP bolts of course) or you could get some SCAT I-Beams with the pressed pins (no need to waste money on floating pins for a mild build).Have it bore/honed and balance be a good machine shop,and if you go with ARP studs or bolts for the mains,have it line bored with them.

And Grn92LX,please explain your theory further?

As I see it,the 351W will have a longer stroke,make more torque,and with a larger cam make that torque at a higher rpm.Witch will produce more power.The wieght differance isnt enough for the 347 to go by the 351W.

edit:Oh,the down side is of course the larger hiegth witch can make changing plugs a little tricker and may cause some hood clearance problems.

wgpaintballer said:
but i still want to be able to drive it around town with high teens to low 20;s in mpg..
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: But yeah I vote for the 351 based stroker. Hindsight is 20/20.

Aliate X said:
If you were to stroke and spray a 302 based motor, you would have to go with an aftermarket block.
It would be wise to....but not a mandate. I am using the stock block and it will be a year in 2 months since I had the 347 put in. And it is a DD as well as some track time. It now has just over 7,000 miles on it.

Ok,I read the first couple of pages.

Jay's was the only working example I saw.

We already know all this,but your forgeting in the real world,347 and 351W DONT have the same parts.

351W is still the larger motor,and should be treated as such and given a larger cam.

The differance with the mains and fricton....phstt.Big deal,most guys arent revving to 6500rpm on the street,Ill take the torque thank you.

Also,when e said he used a 351C crank back in the day,the same could apply to the 351W with spacers.Hell you could even get a spacer to reduce the 351W main down to 302 main (2.25") and offset grind the crank to get a 351W with lightwieght rotating mass.

First of all...10 seconds with 20+mpg...:rlaugh:

Second, if a budget build up is your thing, go with the 351, and put some nice heads, cam and intake on it. (by nice i mean not 302 items) Maybe even stroke it out to a 408 :hail2: