347 stroker questions

1991vert

10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Ludlow, MA
what's the difference between a regular 347 stroker and one with a 5.314? people keep telling me "oh it's like a 331, but with a 347 crank" im getting confused. i just dont understand how it can be "like a 331", yet be a 347

someone please point me in the right direction!!

links to web pages explaining this would do wonders. i need to do my homework on this stuff

• Sponsors (?)

The 347 kit with the probe 5.315" rods use the SAME probe pistons as a 331. The compression height is taller giving you more "meat" but at the same time a heavier piston. I went 5.315" rod combo only because I didn't wanna wait for the 5.4" as they were on a long ass backorder. My builder (Rick 91GT) called me and asked is I minded switching. I preferred the 5.4" rods, but I wanted my motor this millenium :D

Like I said, I prefer the 5.4" rod set up, but for your typical street car, it doesn't matter. 347's don't break cyl walls.

My friends should be near 600hp once it gets tuned. It hasn't broke yet :D

Fwiw, Its not you I was laughing at, it was dss's piss more attempt at marketing and the sad fact that people believe that garbage.

it's going in a dart block so would that 5.4 break a dart block cylinder wall?

also someone told me to have it zero balanced, what does that mean? i thought 302 based engines were externally balanced?

1991vert said:
it's going in a dart block so would that 5.4 break a dart block cylinder wall?

also someone told me to have it zero balanced, what does that mean? i thought 302 based engines were externally balanced?

347's don't break cyl walls.

Stock 302 cranks, aftermarket cast steel cranks and some forged cranks go external balance. Good aftermarket forged cranks can go internal. If you're paying for a good block, do a good crank the right way, 0 balance.

A 347 in itself doesn't break cylinder walls but does put more sidewall pressure on the block. If a 331 is on the borderline of cracking a block...then the 347 could do it more likely than a 331.

I wouldn't worry about a Dart breaking:nice:

Edit: I would rather have a "pinless" ring than one with a pin. It makes a difference in longevity.

DSS isn't a "fake" builder...and don't you think "builders" are going to tell you about the pros of the 347. They make more money building 347's than a 331. Think about it...

Why do you think companies like CHP, DSS, and the other builders would sell/make/assemble 331's and 347's if they were had all the same pros/cons but the 347 made more power. Think about it:) There are different stroker trends because they have different pros/cons and it is left up to the actual user to decide. Very simple...

ninjacoupe said:
Thats nothing. My 347 can call the Po'lice from over a mile away :rlaugh:

My "302" can do that (with 160k on it nearly)... :rlaugh: The cubes matter? :p

My buddy called me (lives over a mile and a half away) and said he could hear me pulling out of my driveway :nice: He knew it was me...

I have also saved my neighbor's job a few times when his alarm didn't go off when I would go to school. He thanked me for it. Yeah it was the exhaust.

To bad the state troopers didn't like me speeding the other night...yeah I got a ticket coming home from a supercharger install - go figure :bang:

Dave, my builder charges the same price for a 331 and a 347 :) He didn't make an extra dime selling me a 347 instead of a smaller 331. The "pinless" kit does not make a difference in longevity. Remember the 185k 3.40 stroke 5.4" rod engine I've mentioned built by that guy over on hardcore? Your engine doesn't even have 185k trouble free non blow by/oil issues :p

Ninja, thats a very odd 347 you got there :D

1991vert, one thing I forgot to mention, but i'm sure you already know, with the dart block you can go big on the bore. Don't bore it .030, go big on the bore and go like 360". You can get the 5.315" stuff from chp/probe. Ask if their forged cranks can go 0 (internal) balance. If not, don't use it. Why put an external balance in a $2000 dart block?