347 stroker questions

331 vs 347 !! Other than cubes.. there IS a side loading issue.. well NOT and Issue, but a differance!! the LONGER the rod.. the longer the dwell time at both top and bottom of the stroke!! the FASTER the piston speed and the LESS side wall loading!! The MORE torque and power!!

SOOOOooo... keeping it simple.. go Longest rod.. biggest stroke you can for MORE power.

The 331 has the wrist pin BELOW the oil ring, and the 347 is IN the OIL ring ( save the "Coast" 347 where they use a shorter rod { 3.315} for theirs to keep the pin out of the oil ring!!) When the 347 FIRST came out there was a lot of "burning oil" issues, I feel it was do to a new combo and the guys NOT installing the rings correct.. since there are now a bazillion 347s out there.. the oiling problem has pretty much gone away!!

Either engine will rock!! get good long mileage and not have oiling issues.. IF put together right.. cool?? Cost on the 331 vs 347 ?? pretty much the same.. go to the 347 and kick ass.. Remember.. long rod, better dwell and LESS side loading..

Just me........................

Thumper

• Sponsors (?)

Grn92LX said:
Dave, my builder charges the same price for a 331 and a 347 :) He didn't make an extra dime selling me a 347 instead of a smaller 331. The "pinless" kit does not make a difference in longevity. Remember the 185k 3.40 stroke 5.4" rod engine I've mentioned built by that guy over on hardcore? Your engine doesn't even have 185k trouble free non blow by/oil issues :p

So he gave you the rod clearancing for free? On average it is going to cost more. You know that...mr. keith craft down here in arkansas knows that. Specializes in 5.0L's. So your going to compare a 3.40 stroke 5.4" rod engine that we have no more info about to my car that has had a couple different owners and beats on it a bit. Also what about tolerances. They do change. I dare you to find a 250k 5.0L and then find a 250k 347? It might be a bit onesided on this one :nice:

I never said I have blow-by issues...but I made a oil pressure thread and mentioned in there. Who knows...could be my guage :nice: Since they are so accurate all the time...

In any case don't tell them "your" case...but tell them the likely hood that it will cost more in machining work. That is like me saying I bought my AFR's for $400 bucks (from a friend or something) and not telling you how/why I got them for that cheap. "I got my AFR's for $400 bucks, so that means you can get h/c/i for $1,200 dollars" :nonono:

$$$

didn't have any extra charge on my 347 bill for rod clearancing.

if your oil guage isn't very accurate, I have to assume your still using the stock gauge. Than I would have to ask why you don't just drop $50 on a autometer that can be accurate. I dont know if you have a 347 or not, but if you don't, leave it at that instead of telling people this happens and that happens. (not that your telling people that).

the people who personnally have the strokers should be the ones chiming in and telling others what to expect.

later

mcvey90 said:
didn't have any extra charge on my 347 bill for rod clearancing.

if your oil guage isn't very accurate, I have to assume your still using the stock gauge. Than I would have to ask why you don't just drop $50 on a autometer that can be accurate. I dont know if you have a 347 or not, but if you don't, leave it at that instead of telling people this happens and that happens. (not that your telling people that).

the people who personnally have the strokers should be the ones chiming in and telling others what to expect.

later

Probably because the price was built in...

This isn't about my oil guage...that isn't what the thread is about. I was responding to his comment on it.

Actually those who have experience with strokers should chime in. Not those who have them. That helps greatly. Then you get "bias" opinions. I have three friends with strokers (one chevrolet)...the others are 347's.

txstang84 - Not much at all...

Ya know, I too am VERY interested in a stroker. My motor is 12 years old. It has had boost for 9 years. I have searched these threads several times. Its really hard to understand these crazy things.

And here's something else. A good machine company that actually produces a QUALITY stroker motor. I mean, i really dont mind spending money. But, I FRIGGIN HATE wasting it.

Is there like a "Strokers for Dummies" spot on stangnet? If not, there should be. Cause i definetely need to attend that class.

I have noticed something though. There are alot of people saying that the 347's burn oil, break cylinder walls and not to get one and to get a 331 instead.

Maybe they do, maybe they dont. <---I dont know.

Now......
There is always someone that replies to the statements that i just described. They basically say that the oil burning is not an issue and that breaking cylinder walls is crap. Also that the rumors reguarding the 347 is "old" problems that existed years ago and that the machine companies have addressed and corrected those issues.

Maybe, maybe not. <---again, i dont know.

I can say this though. I have noticed that the people replying to the "bad" rumors of the 347 generally have a more in-depth or better reply explaining that those "rumors" are not true anymore.

I realize that everything i have just written, is kinda getting away from the subject matter of this thread. For that i applogize. I am just trying to learn these stupid strokers and figure who to buy the aggrivating things from.

DSS, CHP, KeithCraft, Some dude named rick, Ford motorsport 347's................

*Spending $2400 and not being happy=misery :nonono:

:shrug: :damnit:

:fuss: <-----i feel better now..........thanks

I have heard all the good and bad things about the 347. I had planned on building myself a 347 because thats what I wanted and thats the only way that you are going to find out whats true. Unfortunatly, I have had some matters come up and have to sell my 347 stroker kit.