347 Stroker

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
I'd like to use a 347 stroker for my new project.. just a new question.. I got enough cash to go all out on a new 347 stroker combo right now, :p can't afford a 351/408 stroker combo heh. Please exxcuse me if some of these questions sound stupid.

1. What's the biggest AFR heads I can use?
2. Which intake manifold would best compliment the AFR heads I will use? (Edelbrock, Holley, Trickflow??)

3. What's the difference between long-tube / short headers? I know which brands I'd like to use, not sure which will benefit me more.

4. Already got a good aftermarket camshaft in mind, what's a good stroker kit brand for 347?

-------------
Some questions that don't really relate to the engine...

1. What's a killer aftermarket T-5 trans?
2. Aftermarket suspension? which ones do you guys like?
3. Good aftermarket brake system?

• Sponsors (?)

doing a 408 would prolly only be like another 400-500.

afr heads: 185s would be best, but you can use any of them.

headers: 1 3/4 long tubes.

intake: edelbrock RPM, RPM2, holley

cam: do it once, do it right.... custom cam.

The AFR205's and 225's HUGE for most 347 combo's, although I have seen healthy 347's w/ 205's.

By looking at your sig I see you already have the 185's, I'd keep them, along with the RPMII intake.

A long tube header will scavenge better and make more HP mid/high rpm. I would go 1.75" and 3" exhaust.

FTI, I assume you'll be getting another cam from Ed?

Aftermarket T-5, G-force is the first that comes to mind. Although I would upgrade to a Tremec TKO or TKO II.

Aftermarket Suspension, if drag racing www.teamzmotorsports.net

Good Aftermarket brakes, if your not looking for a drag style brake go with a BAER...just $$$$$$$$$. There are many different systems out, we need more info about your combo and intentions.

A 351W combo will cost you a couple thousand more easy.....a properly built 351W stroker is expensive.

Rick 91GT said:
A 351W combo will cost you a couple thousand more easy.....a properly built 351W stroker is expensive.

You got that brother :rlaugh:

Rick, you mention G-force for the tranny, I've heard bad things about them but that could just be internet speak. Have you dealt with any of you're customers/friends cars that have a G-force tranny in them. I ask because i'm thinking of upgrading the 3550. I only launched at the track at 3000rpms and was even nervous doing that.
mike putnam.

Mike I still prefer the Tremec's if at all possible, they have a lot of new models out. I have heard of some good things about the G-Force (although I think the ratings are high), but have no actual expierence.

Promotion makes a beefy T-5 as well, I remember Tony telling me about one he had in the works.

Sorry to hijack

Rick 91GT said:
Mike I still prefer the Tremec's if at all possible, they have a lot of new models out. I have heard of some good things about the G-Force (although I think the ratings are high), but have no actual expierence.

Promotion makes a beefy T-5 as well, I remember Tony telling me about one he had in the works.

I was thinking maybe a new tko, I hate to seeing as I have to pull the headers, maybe I'll wait until I grenade the 3550 and HAVE to do it :rlaugh: Or, I could sell the 3550/tri-ax/spec stageIII clutch while they are still worth something and use the $$ towards a new tko600 :shrug: Choices choices :bang:

Do you think it will hold? The car cut a 1.685 short time on bfg dr's at a 3k launch? Just curious.
mike.

Just a thought - you mention you have a camshaft in mind - but you're still trying to decide on basically everything else. A well constructed package has to take all the pieces into consideration. Usually the camshaft is last after you've decided on and know the flow constraints of all the other pieces. So I question your thinking on the cam choice - whatever it is. Also, most of the cams out there for small blocks are designed with 302 cubes in mind - not 347. The cam's for the 302's will behave more mildly (overgeneralization) in a 347 with proportionally greater flow potential. I'd either look at cams designed for 351 packages, or get a custom ground. Lastly, you never mention static compression ratio - that's a HUGE factor impacting the best cam choice.

I'd also start with the end goal in mind. Everyone's talking about pieces in here - but we don't have a clue how you intend to use the car. Street? Daily driver? Stop and go traffic? Racer? If so, what kind - drag, autocross, road race? What kind of rpm range do you need/intend? What rpm range will the engine spend most of it's time in? What kind of idle quality do you want/can you live with? Is there a certain vacuum requirement at idle to run things like power brakes? Does the engine have to pass emissions? Questions like that and many more need to be clearly thought through and answered before it's possible to get clear on what combination of parts is gonna get you there.

Sorry, I was very vague...

I'd like to MAX out the power of a 347 Stroker combination right now, and to clarify a few things...

1. Yes it needs to pass emissions... but the emissions control requirements are no where NEAR california, I will be having catalytic converters, mufflers, etc.. (lol and removing them after i pass) The only thing they check for is if you have converters and if your emissions are low, they don't care if you have smog-illegal equipment.

2. This car is semi street/drag.. which basically means I will on occassion use it for street, but rarely since I have another car for that.. it will be babied :p

3. I'd like to go AFR 225's, RPM II Intake or maybe even Victor intakes, or what not.. with an aftermarket transmission.

4. I'm going to be using force induction/n2o.. but not for the direct moment, so comprpression will have to be lower.. maybe 8:1 or something along those lines.

5. I'm going to rebuild the motor (with a brand new aftermarket shortblock), with all forged internals, and what not...

Hope this clarifies anything..

Please let me know if anything why my combo will or will not work.. etc