347, which heads?

1991vert

10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Ludlow, MA
my dart block is on its way and i plan on doing a 347. what heads should i go with?

i have been eyeing the AFR205's for a while. will i have trouble starting off from idle with these heads? this car will be street driven.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what your budget is or your goal. The 205 heads are nice but the 185's will support 420 RWHP. At least they did for my friend with a ported RPM manifold. It was a fun setup. Made 424 RWHP and 416 RWTQ. It was 400+RWHP at 5100 RPM-6300 and he shifted at 6500-6600. It went 11.30-11.40 on nittos at 123-124 and 3350lbs. I have a couple other friends with Victor Jr's, same HiTech custom cam, Vic 5.0 intake and they run a little harder in the 125-126 range.

emissions are a concern, but worst comes to worst i can put my stock engine back in.

i want to go solid roller, but dont know how to set up the rockers for it. i heard hydraulic rollers are more forgiving if something were to go wrong.

can i reuse my 1.6 scorpion rockers with the 205s?

I would get the 185's for N/A and 205's for boost and less you just want a "track monster". If you have the same stud size you will be able to use the Scorpions.

I find the out of the box Vic Jr's are not near the advertised numbers......

205's would work very well on a 351.

Personally swapping out motors to pass emissions is a PIA, why not look at the N2O exh port 185's that are legal.

Rick 91GT said:

Personally swapping out motors to pass emissions is a PIA, why not look at the N2O exh port 185's that are legal.
no air care here no emmissions i have to meet. i really want 205's i see a set of used twisted wedge heads selling for around 700 usd right now on ebay they maybe a good deal.

Rick 91GT said:

i just called my machinest and he confirmed your opinion on the vic jrs!!!:hail2:

86bluecobra said:
i thought that edelbrock guy says he wouldn't put his name on it if it wasn't a quality part. is he lying to us to get our cash?
my machinest said he has seen some of them crack real easy and that they "really dont flow like they are supposed to" Just like rick said!