347 With 192 Canfields Tune Question

Aug 9, 2013
I am new to fords. I recently purchased an 89 gt with a 347 stroker that has 192 canfield heads 58 cc milled to 54cc. It has a cobra intake 75 mm tb 1 5/8 equal length headers flowmasters but the car has stock injectors and mass air. Will this be an issue and how would I tune it. It runs good but i hear there is alot left on the table.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you know what cam is in it. Any chip installed. What is your timing set at.

The cobra intake , shorty headers, stock 19lb injectors and MAF are choking that motor. Sounds like a bunch of mismatched parts thrown together.

I traded for the car. Im not sure on the cam specs but it had a blown head gasket. I had the heads milled, measured the stroke etc. The lady i got the car from got it in a divorce. The math comes out to a 560 lift cam on intake, I honestly didnt mic the exhaust side. How would i tell if there is a chip in it? It may sound stupid but i,ve raced sbc is all.

should i get the injectors and maf or ditch the intake and get the exact cam specs. And go from there? Im going to call the shop that did my dyno tune on my camaro in the am to see if he will or can tune it.

30 lb injectors, bigger fuel pump, and calibrated MAF are what I would do. You may even be able to get away with 24's but I'm not 100% sure. Someone more knowledgeable would have to come in and let ya know for sure.

Your ECU is located in the passenger's kick panel. Take it out, with battery disconnected, and look at the ECU. If there is a chip in it, it will be sticking out of the back side of the computer.

I assume you measured 3.4 inch stroke? If it is a 347, you definetly need a better intake, larger injectors (30lb at least) a larger mass air calibrated for your injector size, and an upgraded fuel pump (155 or larger).

The car can run with what you have, but performance will suffer with those small parts. A 347 is a great start, and the Canfields are good heads. It's a good start.

Joe

Your ECU is located in the passenger's kick panel. Take it out, with battery disconnected, and look at the ECU. If there is a chip in it, it will be sticking out of the back side of the computer.

I assume you measured 3.4 inch stroke? If it is a 347, you definetly need a better intake, larger injectors (30lb at least) a larger mass air calibrated for your injector size, and an upgraded fuel pump (155 or larger).

The car can run with what you have, but performance will suffer with those small parts. A 347 is a great start, and the Canfields are good heads. It's a good start.

Joe
Yes it was 3.4 crank 30 over at tops with 4 valve reliefs.and thanks guys that's the type of info I was looking for. What type of intake Maf and injectors would you guys recommend?

You will need 30's, canfields were pretty highly regarded back in the day, i think their rep took a dive with the street crowd because for a period of time they were prone to cracking.

PMAS or pro M meter, 80mm or bigger.

If your engine runs right, it should be pretty potent. Last 347 canfield i saw ran 11.0 all motor.

And make sure your new meter is "calibrated" for your injector size.
Choosing the wrong calibration will cause either a lean or a rich condition which will most likely cause idle surges or other drivability issues. I tried running 24 lb injectors with a meter calibrated for 42's. Yeah, that doesn't work :lol:

Cool deal I plan on doing some racing this weekend. My friend has a car that runs 12.1s all day. He keeps talking crap and the car feels that strong at least. My old camaro was a 10.59 best. I was hoping I could get the car in the 11s without spray.it has 373 gears slicks cage subframe connectors and shocks with full interior.

Not knowing the exact cam specs I'd go with Holley Systemax intake, more power and tq up till 6700 over the R. If the can is right and you have some steep rear gears the Victor could be a good choice.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I currently have 373 but am thinking 430 I have 28 inch slicks and of course the local track is only 330 ft. Before I get slammed n called a bench racer I've not had it there yet. The car pulls strong as is.

Thanks guys it looks as if I'm smothering it and need to spend some cash. I've always ran Vic jr on sbc and worked well but sounds like Holley may be a contender.

I currently have 373 but am thinking 430 I have 28 inch slicks and of course the local track is only 330 ft. Before I get slammed n called a bench racer I've not had it there yet. The car pulls strong as is.

Since you have 3.73's now, might as well run them and see how it goes. At least if you switch after you will have numbers to compare it to.

Never heard of the 1/16 mile, guess you learn something new every day.

The track used to be a Sand drag strip. And that's a very good point it feels like its falling off at 6500 ish. So I may not need steeper. If you want YouTube tri river drag way and watch some short track racing lol.