347 ?

blue87lx

Apr 23, 2005
ive heard alot about 347's burning oil. does anybody know the truth? i had mine built in 2002 and its always burned a little bit and smoked a little at high rpm. is this normal for my motor? i has around 6000 miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

blue87lx said:
ive heard alot about 347's burning oil. does anybody know the truth? i had mine built in 2002 and its always burned a little bit and smoked a little at high rpm. is this normal for my motor? i has around 6000 miles on it.
it could be something as simple as the tune.......EVERY ENGINE BURNS SOME AMOUNT OF OIL! Show me a car that does not burn ANY oil and i will show you a car that was trailered for 3000miles

There's all sorts of info on here about the 347. The older style 347 pistons had the oil ring land too high up into the wrist pin area allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber. Correct me if I'm wrong on the specifics, but anyway, the newer kits, most of them at least, don't have this issue.

btw There are alot of ways you can burn excess oil in a newer motor.

like i said it is an older 347 i got it in 2002. i burn about 1qaurt per 1000 miles. i can only see smoke when the rpms are up around 6500 and its not noticable if i wind out the gear that long but say if i downshift or rev it up that high i will see it.what in the tune would cause this?

did you use synthetic oil to break it in?, old fashion mineral 5W30 for the first few oil changes is what i was told when i got my block back, then switch to synthetic whens the rings are seated good. He also left my motor loose in the final hone for the pistons, mines a daily driver not weekend car i dont have ten minutes every time i need to drive it. Plasma Moly in mine doesnt burn a drop 84,000 miles so far.

Well if it is mostly black then it is a very rich mix of air and fuel you are running. Get that problem sorted out first. As for the older 347's burning oil yes they did. In fact muscle mustang and fast ford mag was saying 4 or 5 years ago that the 331 was a better street stroker then the 347 because of the fact that around 10000miles the 347's tend to use oil (burn oil). I believe they say use oil because high performance engines do not burn oil they use it. lol kinda a funny way of looking at the same problem.