351 Build

RyanEllis

May 31, 2014
Well after being all over the place with what to swap into my 87 GT i ended up with a 94 351 w engine.

Im looking to build the engine a bit before putting it in car. I would like to keep the stock bore, what would i have to do to get around 400hp n/a

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

That's a good block to have because it's already set up for roller lifters. It doesn't actually come with roller lifters, but the block is already pre drilled for them. Got to warn you, 351 swaps nickel and dime you to death. Given the age of the car most of the swap parts are going to be replacing old parts that were do for a change anyway. Just don't freak out with the receipts start stacking up. Being that you are starting with a 351 to begin with is going to help a lot (Don't have to re buy a bunch of performance parts). Where are we budget wise on this? Can you afford to overhaul the short block? The reason that is an issue for power comes down to the pistons. While not essential to getting 400hp, having pistons with larger valve reliefs will allow you to run a better matched camshaft. The flow performance parts are going to be along these lines.

Camshaft
Cylinder heads, AFR 205, TF 205, Victor Jr, something along those lines.
Big fuel injection intake, Holley Systemax, Edelbrock Victor, TF Track Heat, something around there,
Big longtube headers, 1 and 3/4" primary.
The stock fuel rails can flow the 400hp, but you'll need bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

I haven't done anything speed density in a long time. The last time I dealt with one there wasn't much support for it. Everyone swapped over to a MAF setup, but I'm not sure if the tuning world has become more accommodating since then.

Give us an idea on what you are looking to do with the car and the budget and we can go over the swap parts. Things like whether or not you intend to keep AC on it, manual or automatic transmission, etc.

Kurt

To answer your last few questions, it's 5 sp. does not have AC, will be mostly street/show. May see the track once in a while.

As far as budget, I'm just gonna build it a bit at a time as I can afford it. I have the stock 302 still in the car so ill be fine to drive it as is for a while until the build is complete.