351 Heads on a 302

Bligaderski

Jul 18, 2007
Tennessee
Question for you, I have ran across a set of 351 heads and was wondering if they would work on the 302 in my 89 or if it is even worth it. I am rebuilding and wanted a set of heads but don’t have much in cash. An acquaintance has a set of 351 heads for cheap. Didn’t know if it would be worth it or if it would even work correctly. any sugestion would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Question for you, I have ran across a set of 351 heads and was wondering if they would work on the 302 in my 89 or if it is even worth it. I am rebuilding and wanted a set of heads but don’t have much in cash. An acquaintance has a set of 351 heads for cheap. Didn’t know if it would be worth it or if it would even work correctly. any sugestion would be great.

IIRC they dont really flow any better than the stock heads.

Back in the day, there were some 351 heads, 1969 I think, that were considered better than the run of the mill 302 heads.

Currently, there are many better heads out there. Even the 5.0 "e7" heads are decent or can be made to give much improved performance.

When you figure the cost of changing the heads, and the machine work needed to rehab a 40 year old set of heads, new springs, etc, etc, it is difficult to justify them, vice a even a used set of iron Gt40's or GT 40P's.

I have been down this road, and finally gave up and got GT40's. Well worth it.