351 heads ?'s

• Sponsors (?)

The 69 Windsor heads are the same for both 2 bbl and 4 bbl. Chambers are listed as 58-60 ccs, the C6OE 289 heads are 54 ccs. E7 chambers are 64 ccs. 2-4 ccs on a 289 yeilds about a quarter to half point decrease in compression. You can always mill the heads to negate that.

If you port both heads you can get more out of the 69/70 351w heads. The E7TE heads are all over the place. You can get them off of a bunch of different motors and they make a decent amount of power if you port them well.

The 351 head are in a rebuilt, stock shape. I can get them off my friend for probably nothing.

The reason I have E7's is that for the $50 I paid for them, I got screw in studs, FMS roller rockers, Comp springs, 3-angle valve job, bowl blended, port matched, etc....

My question is, if I get the 351 heads is it a benefit to make the swap? Or should I save for the next few years and get some AFR 185's. The heads are going on a not mild but now wild 289.

If the E7's have all that done already, keep em. E7's are better to start with over all the earlier run of the mill stock heads plus Ford used em on all the Mustang , pickups and van 5.0's from 87-97. Plus a few other applications. The only help they really need is opening the exhaust ports and bowl blending to make a good budget head. Anything more in porting and valve upgrades, you're better off buying aftermarket heads.

the e7's on your 289 will probably yield 8:1 or less compression so plan on having them milled....a lot

if you put them on without milling them you'd be better off using the stock 69 351 heads because all the gain you'd get from the porting will be lost on the compression if not more.

if you're good with a die grinder you can probably do a hom port job on the 351 heads and get about the same power as the e7 heads after having them milled, then just swap all the goodies from the e7's to the 351 heads.

i think at thi point it's a wash as to which heads would be best for your 289....either are going to need plenty of work, less with the e7's but you're going to run the risk of valvetrain geometry problems and the e7's will have to so much material taken off of them to get the compression back up that you'll likely have overheating issues with them down the road.

note necessarily, just warning of the potential pifalls involved with either one. even the stock 351 heads will probably be a nice improvement over the stock 289 heads with little or no work involved but the E7's aren't going to be a perfect bolt on either.

note necessarily, just warning of the potential pifalls involved with either one. even the stock 351 heads will probably be a nice improvement over the stock 289 heads with little or no work involved but the E7's aren't going to be a perfect bolt on either.
I already have the E7's on the car. I runs really strong but hits a wall at 5500 rpm. Did some talking with the old man and decided that the factory style heads are holding me back. I know I dont have a monster cam but I dont wont to make my car a dog by putting a big cam in it. I suspect the motor is making about 8.5-9.0:1 comp. No one has given me a solid answer yet.