351+ Positive displacement Blower

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
After i finish the afr 205 head swap i want something like a twin screw type blower. Only problem is the only one i can find is a Kenne Bell which i wouldn't mind but they use a damned GT40 lower.

Will a KB blowing threw a GT40 into the AFR 205 headed 383 stroker work?

Could i possibly have someone like Tmoss Port the living crap out of a GT40 to make it work???

My goal here is nasty street car. Wide LSA Cam and near instant Boost. That means no centrifugal supercharger suggestions. I also don't want the headache of piping a turbo either.

If the KB doesnt work is there anyone that makes a blower that can even universally bolt onto a EFI spyder intake?

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

You are getting into two situations here...

1) Run the KB blower with the GT40 lower and make no power (the thing sucks)

2) Make your own custom setup and spend more money than most people have, to make it work.

IF you want to go the custom route I would start with a used 03 Cobra Eaton for an idea. However keep in mind if you do you will have to place the blower so the pulley lines up with the rest of your pulleys and also you will have to address the belt slipping issues you will come into. Top mount blowers are always harder to keep the belt from slipping.

If you want power then this is not the way to go about it.

I've got a low miles bolt on turbo kit for your car with a 74mm turbo I have been telling people I would let go for $3,000. The kit cost me $5,000 and its a B&G kit. If I sell it then I sell it, if not I will put it on something later. :shrug:

After i finish the afr 205 head swap i want something like a twin screw type blower. Only problem is the only one i can find is a Kenne Bell which i wouldn't mind but they use a damned GT40 lower.

Will a KB blowing threw a GT40 into the AFR 205 headed 383 stroker work?

Could i possibly have someone like Tmoss Port the living crap out of a GT40 to make it work???

My goal here is nasty street car. Wide LSA Cam and near instant Boost. That means no centrifugal supercharger suggestions. I also don't want the headache of piping a turbo either.

If the KB doesnt work is there anyone that makes a blower that can even universally bolt onto a EFI spyder intake?

Chris

i don't know or recall of a company that makes a + displacement blower for a 351 base engine. so without going custom it might be pretty hard to get. the only thing i could suggest is looking for a company that makes a +displacement blower for a first gen lightning. since they were 351 non blower. the only thing is if you do find it you'll most likely have to which over to the acc brakets for that model truck. which might open a can of worms with hood or engine bay clearances. there's only one way to find out.

i don't know or recall of a company that makes a + displacement blower for a 351 base engine. so without going custom it might be pretty hard to get. the only thing i could suggest is looking for a company that makes a +displacement blower for a first gen lightning. since they were 351 non blower. the only thing is if you do find it you'll most likely have to which over to the acc brakets for that model truck. which might open a can of worms with hood or engine bay clearances. there's only one way to find out.

Plenty of space under the hood. I clear a Trickflow Box intake with 4" fox style intake with 1" to spare!:nice: I have the 95-97 351 brackets that i plan on using after i swap heads anyways. (I'm using lincoln mark 7 brackets) Reason being is i can run the A/C again and i can use the 3 bolt heavy duty alternator with the 351 bracket.:nice:

after searching L gen 1 threads, KB use to sell a kit, but no longer do. others suggest makin a bracket to bolt a KB to the lower intake. but that seems harder than said, since you also have the factor of the pulley alignment.
most suggest if turbo is out of the question due to $ that many are very happy with the vortech kits.
other also mentioned going carb and doing a roots blower. i don't think you willing to go that route. you'll also have that monster sticking out of the hood.
the way i see it custom seems the way u have to go to get what you want.

I modified an m90 to fit on my 302, and ive seen a 351 with twin m90's :)
blowers9.jpg

I would sure as hell like to know what you plan on running for suspension and tires... Cause it AINT GONNA HOOK..

A small turbo would still blow any blower away.. period.. And come on almost as fast...

BUT, theres nothing cooler than the ability to insantly fry the tires at will doing 60 mph....

I would sure as hell like to know what you plan on running for suspension and tires... Cause it AINT GONNA HOOK..

A small turbo would still blow any blower away.. period.. And come on almost as fast...

Eeh Its going to be an excessive street car. I wouldn't really want to hook in a 383 boosted convertible anyways. I may add ladder bars or reinforce my Maximum Motorsport XL's. I have Tokico Illuminas ....Tubular rear control arms Urethane bushings on everything including control arms. Right now it rides on rails minimal body flex.
Even when i jack the car up from front or rear the doors open and close and line up perfect. Ive had hard tops that wouldn't do that. But like i said theres alot of shiny powdercoated suspension parts under the car.

The car i will want to hook will probably be when i build a stroked 460 EFI in a lincoln mark 7. I plan that in the next 5 years...but first things first is the mustang.

Chris

Why wouldn't you get a quality blower like a Paxton, Procharger, Vortech. Going to make way more power, and have lower intake temps.

Kurt

Because Peak HP isn't really my goal. Average HP is:nice: Hence the wide LSA Cam. Ill be using a low Stall converter as well. I'm not concerned with having a dyno queen. Oh and i dread any kind of blower that shares my Engine oil. I don't plan on spinning higher than 6500RPM.

This is just like when i see people offering to sell me 75mm Blower and turbos and expect me to strap it to my 90mm intake like everything will be ok. Folks who build 383's have been putting things like 100mm turbos and seeing 8's in the 1/4th with some VP gas. Thats way too fast for me and im not trying to make more than 650hp.

i like this thread...

Yes as long as it doesnt turn into a LS1 vs. 5.0 Thread :D I may have to scrap the 383 and buy a LS1.

Not to go off subject in my own thread but i have a friends Lincoln mark 8 in my garage. I'm tossing a 32v 5.4 Navigator motor in. :eek: Then were gonna get some lincoln cobra emblems. Those cars are 3700 pounds (lighter than new stang) He will be eventually getting a very large KB blower.

I like building fast street cars.....No staging at redlights necessary.:rolleyes:
You guys shoulda seen my lil H/C/I 302 Lincoln mark 7.

Because Peak HP isn't really my goal. Average HP is:nice: Hence the wide LSA Cam. Ill be using a low Stall converter as well. I'm not concerned with having a dyno queen. Oh and i dread any kind of blower that shares my Engine oil. I don't plan on spinning higher than 6500RPM.

Understandable. I just think the centrifugals make better street blowers, because they run cooler. Makes the car more agreeable with pump gas. The loss in low end torque is nominal.

Kurt

I'm not really worried about low end TQ. I know theres some heat issues with the bolt on ones. I will address that with something custom. Most of the KB heat problems were with the 1.5's (which they don't sell anymore) Most people i saw using the KB weren't using the full capacity of the blower on the intake side. If you bolt a 70-75mm intake to a KB that is capable of a 90mm TB i'm guessing that air charge would also help cool the Blower. I intend to use a full 90mm setup. I bet the smaller intake helps contribute to more heat soak.