351 stroker so many options....??What do you recommend

dustang85

Apr 19, 2003
I want to build a 351 stroker but after reading so many articles i am confused on what to build...I'd like to make around 500 at the wheels on the motor but would give up a lil hp for streetability... I want to still drive my car on the street... The car is a 85gt so I will be using a carb. Should i buy a forged kit or is the cast ok...Has anyone used the ford performance solutions high nodular crank? I have read the 393 has a good rod ratio and will last longer then a 408-418... So that is what i am leaning towards.. I plan on running a 150 shot on my car also occasionally in hopes of running 10's...Am I being optomistic or is this goal easily acheived??? Any cam recommendations? Heads?? Any help is appreciated.....

• Sponsors (?)

you won't get both, 393 will be very street friendly but will be tough to get 500 at the wheels on motor. 408 will get you much closer to the 500 hp mark but you will lose some streetability. if it were me and knowing you would go nitrous i would say 393. but build it with high compression so you get close to that 500hp

edit: when you say streetability do you mean daily driver or drivin on the street.... big impact on desicion

Hey man, it all depends on who builds the motor as to how long the motor lasts. The only problem when you get to the 427 and up range is getting the compression down on the motor if you are gonna run a blower or stay pump gas, this still isnt that hard to do with custom pistons and heads with a larger chambers. I am installing a 427 into my car and was able to get the comp. down to about 9.0:1. Check out fordstrokers.com, they have great deals on stroker kits, and he can also point you in the right direction for cam/head packages. I talked to him via his online support and he was real helpful, i havent ordered from him yet (unexpected bills), but he answered all my questions and was very patient. Any of the strokers are going to perform well for you, but the bottom end is the easy part, picking the right heads/cam/intake is where the power is gonna be at. Good luck with your decision, all of them are great.

Hey man, it all depends on who builds the motor as to how long the motor lasts. The only problem when you get to the 427 and up range is getting the compression down on the motor if you are gonna run a blower or stay pump gas, this still isnt that hard to do with custom pistons and heads with a larger chambers. I am installing a 427 into my car and was able to get the comp. down to about 9.0:1. Check out fordstrokers.com, they have great deals on stroker kits, and he can also point you in the right direction for cam/head packages. I talked to him via his online support and he was real helpful, i havent ordered from him yet (unexpected bills), but he answered all my questions and was very patient. Any of the strokers are going to perform well for you, but the bottom end is the easy part, picking the right heads/cam/intake is where the power is gonna be at. Good luck with your decision, all of them are great.

I am not going to make a recommendation as to which 351W based stroker you should pick, but I'd just like to share a personal experience. When I was in high school I had a buddy who had a relative who died and left him 10k. He used the money to buy a 408 from Keith Craft, they sent along the dyno sheets which showed over 500hp on an engine dyno. The motor was fantastic, but the very first time he floored it the torque twisted the chassis on the passenger side. So...I guess the moral of the story is make sure you have some good chassis stiffening parts to go with that massive stroker power!

408W w/ about 100-150shot will give you 500+rwhp.

know a couple of people running low 400's rwhp on N/A 408's

I also plan on seeing real close to 500rwhp with my set-up
and 150 shot.