351 Trick flow box r intake and 4 inch hood, will it work?

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I started to put my car together, mocking things up. I have a 408 with a trick flow box r intake. I can not believe how big the intake is. I bought a 4 inch cowl from cervini's and I dont know if the intake is going to clear it. Anybody know if it will? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think I can use the lower motor mounts because of my long tube headers. I think they may fit right. Is there some kind of kit to lower the crossmember?

You can put spacers between the K member and the car to give you more hood clearance. There are companies that sell them if you can't fab them, some people use washers, but if it were me, I'd stick with solid plate.

I looked into spacers, and its more than just putting spacers in. You have to change the angle of the trans and rear, and make sure your wires and cables reach. I mocked it up a little better tonight. I'm going to have the spacer on the intake machined, and then check it again. Worse case scenario I have to buy a victor jr intake, or buy a 5.5 cowl hood from cervinis.

ok I am having the spacer milled down to 3/8. I am gonna try that. Every dealer and manufacter I talk to says they cant believe that it wont fit. I'm sure somebody has this same setup. I cannot drop motor mounts because of headers and oil pan. I want to avoid spacers because of other alignment issues. If it still doesnt fit after the milling I may have the upper milled a little and cut into the hood, which I really dont want to do either.

ok so I put the intake on, and put the hood on. The hood is hitting the elbow on the intake. I am wondring if I can cut into the hood a little bit. If not maybe have a performance show do the spacers.

I talked with trick flow again today. I may try the the r intake, instead of the box r. they told me that it is 1.25 inches shorter than the box. however I have had the spacer milled down 5/8. So in therory it should drop the intake another 5/8. So I am gonna do some measuring tonight, and see if that would work.