351 VS 460

THEPATRIOT

Jan 15, 2010
I've got a real clean "85 Capri i'm thinking of turning into a project(time/funds allow).I'd like to use either a 351W or 460 set up for street/strip duty.What would the pros vs cons of each be???Any input from people who have done these swaps would be great :nice:.

• Sponsors (?)

Con with 460 is major weight which needs new front springs and shocks. Pro to 351W is nearly identical parts to 302, swap is easier, less weight then 460 and much better for street use then 460. You can get a great 351W from FRPP with minor work into that Capri, the 460 will be a headache.

Id definitely go 351 or 351-based stroker. Theres some definite cool factor and uniqueness to a 460, but it isnt really necessary unless you want to have enough torque to do 100 mph at 1300 rpm uphill while towing your house, or want to run single digit quarter mile times with ease. Then again, theres nothing quite like the sound of an uncorked big-block. Still, 351 or 351-based stroker will give you 8-9 tenths of the gains without the hassle.

What would the pros vs cons of each be???

The major thing (even if starting from scratch) is a big block will cost slightly more. The 460 can make more power, easier, and still take a licking of 800-900hp but you need a good converter/trans which is expensive. A c4 is just not going to take the torque for very long and a c6 is a great doorstop or boat anchor.

I just blew up my turbo 302 and going to a 466 with some gas. Motor and trans (had a stock shortblock and tremec) should be around $1,500 than what I had in the sbf stuff but should run on motor what the sbf did on 15lbs and will run into the 5s pretty easy on 200.