351 W, how much power?

Mustang95GTS

Feb 25, 2004
I am planning on putting a 357 W in my stang after the end of the year and I was wondering how much HP the block will hold SAFELY. I have a vortech S trim, (I know its a little small) but I was wanting to see about 530 rwhp. Is this feasable, or just dumb?

• Sponsors (?)

Why a lot of money?

Stock 351w shortblock, change bearings and rings.. whats that $500.

351 oil pan= $75
351 lower intake to match cobra from a lightning is like $200

Keep your fuel stuff liek it is... no biggy... just extend the rails yourself with high pressure fuel hose.

Your exhaust wont fit, You should get forged pistions with the blower, that cam will kill your power in the 351, And I hope your not going to use the stock heads.

You wont see close to 530 rwhp with a 351 block and that setup with out the supporting parts.

LoL, no the heads are gonna be TFS TW heads, and it will be a DSS short block. I was just wondering what a level 10 block should be able to support. I was hoping to see about 540 rwhp.
thanks

Sean

S/CBlack95GT said:
The production 351 block is rated at 500 hp from Ford. For reference the stock 302 block is rated at 450hp from Ford.

What's your source for this info? What year blocks are you talking about? Don't forget the older blocks are stronger. People push the 302 blocks to over 450hp. The 351 has 3" mains and with a good tune and no detonation They can go way over 500hp.

bjl95mustang said:
What's your source for this info? What year blocks are you talking about? Don't forget the older blocks are stronger. People push the 302 blocks to over 450hp. The 351 has 3" mains and with a good tune and no detonation They can go way over 500hp.

My source is FRPP, and I never said that is the LIMIT. It isn't like if you make 501 hp the block will explode. That rating is just what Ford considers the block to safely handle for a period of time. My T5 is only rated at 330 ft-lbs, but it has handled 500ft-lbs for the last 4000 miles.

There are a ton of factors that play into how much power a part can handle. The biggest one is how hard the part is used. A stock block can handle a couple bursts of 600hp from time to time, but if you try to run a 400 mile race it probably will not last.

Now thier asking about 540 rwhp. And with a 15-20% drive line loss that is about 650-680 fwhp. I really can't remember what the avarage loss is on a manual. I think as long as you dont get too boost happy it will live but it's close to the edge. I think detonation willl be the killer.

One Wicked SVT said:
Why a lot of money?

Stock 351w shortblock, change bearings and rings.. whats that $500.

351 oil pan= $75
351 lower intake to match cobra from a lightning is like $200

Keep your fuel stuff liek it is... no biggy... just extend the rails yourself with high pressure fuel hose.

DSS Level10 357W short block=~$3000 after shipping
Headers(Kooks)=$650
Heads=$1800-$2200(AFR225's, not sure how much TFS heads are)
Cam=$325(custom FTI cam)
Intake=$500-$800(depending on intake/porting)
TB,MAF,Injectors,misc. parts=$1000-$1700

That's around $8-9K for a very healthy 351. Yes you can do it for cheap, but it's gonna be very hard to get 530+RWHP out of it without spending a decent bit of money.

If you're keeping it at 351 or 357, the 347 would probably be the better way to go. It'll be cheaper and easier to build the 347 and it will probably make around the same power as the 351. The advantage to going with the 351 block is the extra stroke=a little more torque, and it will handle higher hp and boost better than the 347, so there's less of a chance of blowing a head gasket or something else with the 351 and lots of boost.

DSS Level10 357W short block=~$3000 after shipping: My 418 forged short block is only costing me about $2000

Headers(Kooks)=$650::: I know a few guys that are running a 351 in an sn95 and they have mac. Got mine for $300 shipped

Heads=$1800-$2200(AFR225's, not sure how much TFS heads are):::: I ended up getting vic jr's for now and I ended up paying $900 for a new set.

Cam=$325(custom FTI cam)::: There are plenty of aftermarket cams that will work and can be had for $100-150

Intake=$500-$800(depending on intake/porting) Got my efi spyde for $480 new.

TB,MAF,Injectors,misc. parts=$1000-$1700::: These parts mibus the misc parts cost me $400

You can allways changes the cam or heads later. A 351 can be done on a budget but it takes time and looking for the right deals.

I only paid $2000 after shipping+machine work for my 418 forged short block. The DSS block is $2499, and after shipping, extra parts, etc., it'll probably be around $3000.

A friend of mine has the Mac headers on his 427W 95. He said they are a pain to install, but they will work.

I got my AFR 225's with all the upgrades for $1900, they were around $2200 new. I didn't look for anything else, but he said he will be using TW heads for it.

Yes there are plenty of cams out there, but you'll generally get the most power from a custom cam. My friend with the 427 has the TFS stage 3 in his, AFR 225's, and the spyder intake. My custom cam is very close to the TFS in lift, not sure about duration/LSA/etc. I'll let you know how mine compares to his when I get it running in a couple weeks.

I thought the EFI spyder intakes were around $600+ new from CHP? I paid $700 for my Vic5.8 with a little work done to it.

All the prices I listed are for brand new parts. If you wait for it, Im sure you can find some good deals on ebay or classified ad's.

Like I said, it can be done on a budget, but 540RWHP will be hard to achieve on a budget.

Low-5.0 said:
I only paid $2000 after shipping+machine work for my 418 forged short block. The DSS block is $2499, and after shipping, extra parts, etc., it'll probably be around $3000.

A friend of mine has the Mac headers on his 427W 95. He said they are a pain to install, but they will work.

I got my AFR 225's with all the upgrades for $1900, they were around $2200 new. I didn't look for anything else, but he said he will be using TW heads for it.

Yes there are plenty of cams out there, but you'll generally get the most power from a custom cam. My friend with the 427 has the TFS stage 3 in his, AFR 225's, and the spyder intake. My custom cam is very close to the TFS in lift, not sure about duration/LSA/etc. I'll let you know how mine compares to his when I get it running in a couple weeks.

I thought the EFI spyder intakes were around $600+ new from CHP? I paid $700 for my Vic5.8 with a little work done to it.

All the prices I listed are for brand new parts. If you wait for it, Im sure you can find some good deals on ebay or classified ad's.

Like I said, it can be done on a budget, but 540RWHP will be hard to achieve on a budget.

I thought I had a budget lol. I realised really fast that when your going for power and doing it right it's hard to do it on a budget. I got most of my parts used but they add up fast. I will end up putting about $600+ just into my fuel system. I would like to know about the cam. DO you know how much your friend has his advanced? +2/+4*

I don't know how his cam is set up, he bought it pretty much as a crate motor. Must be nice to shell out $12K+ for a nice shiny new motor. :rolleyes:

He had the motor installed and running about 1-2 months after he got it. I've been working on mine since last august :bang:

I do know he made 453RWHP/450RWTQ with his 427, AFR225's, Super Vic spyder, TFS stage 3 cam, 90mm TB(I think), and 90mm Pro-m MAF. He ran 8.3 in the 1/8 at 93MPH lol. He said he spun through first and second and it finally caught in 3rd. This was with 315 Nitto DR's.

LoL, this thread gets more out of controll as it goes on. I will hopefully make about 12-14 psi at about 6200 rpm. From what some of the faster mustangs around here are putting down it seems like 530 rwhp will be cake. With a set of decent heads and a good lift on the cam it should not be hard at all. A guy that lives down the street has a DSS 331 and pushes 14 psi of boost using an S-trim and has canfield heads and he makes 520 rwhp. I figure with a set of TW heads I should be able to a achieve this easily.

ok well nobody said nutting about FORGED blessed by god bottom end.

simple 351w swap with the football rods will be good enough for 500hp to the wheel.

at least swap pistons and your good to go on a very limited budget.