351 water pump on 302

Ogre

Sep 24, 2003
NC
Has anyone here ever put a water pump for a 351W with the water outlet/inlet on the driver's side on a 289/302? Does it interfer with the power steering pump brackets on that side?

The car is a '67 coupe with a 302 and power steering. I need to replace the water pump because it is leaking. I want to go with a water pump with the outlet/inlet on the driver's side because I have a brand new aluminum radiator with the outlet on that side on the bottom of the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to change the timing cover too. The 70-up pump inlet will cover the timing pointer on the earlier covers, plus there are two different pre-1970 timing covers. In additon to all this, your harmonic balancer's timing marks are indexed to the pre-70 timing cover pointer (at the two O'clock position vs the 70-up's have a 10 o'clock pointer) And if this all is confusing, the pulley flange offset of the pre 70 balancer is different so the pump pulley will not line up. Then to top all this off, the accessory brackettry is also unique to the pre-70 cover and waterpump. In short, unless you have all the associated parts for a 1970-up pump, stick with the earlier waterpump, mixing this stuff creates more problems than it solves.

actually you don't have to change the timing cover but everything else D. said is correct. i have a 73 351 with all of the 69 accessories including the balncer in the 69 stang.

what i would do is have a radiator shop move the lower inlet to the passenger side, it's an easy job that they can do in hour or so in most cases. we used to do it all the time on v8 z car swaps and stuff like that.

I think I am going to just buy the correct water pump and figure out how to run a hose from the pump to the radiator outlet on the driver's side.

Thanks for the replies and advice.