351 Windsor

So I have a part time job at advance auto parts,and a guy came in and was talking to me about his 351 W. Long story short i ended up buying it:D I was able to hear the motor run, everything sounds good. Its out of a 79 so it is carbed. My question is I paid 200 for the whole motor, Is that good? Im starting to have a bad feeling about this, I'm a horrible buyer of used things He says that the motor was overhauled by the machine shop in town, I'm going to go down and talk to them tomm and see if they remember anything. Also he is trying to find his receipts. Well thanks for the input in advance Drew

• Sponsors (?)

Haha, sounds like a shoot first, ask questions later type of decision, eh?

If the engine still has the stock heads, it WILL be a turd. 351s have good performance potential, mainly because the block is much stronger than the 302, but in stock form, they do not produce a lot of power. If you want to make that thing sing, start shopping around for heads/cam/intake. Also consider converting it to a roller cam, '79s were flat tappet and less than ideal.

Also look into the 351 conversion thread over in the technical thread sticky in Fox 5.0 Tech.

200 isnt bad at all and now you have a block that can support 700hp all day, put a good set of heads cam and intake into it and you will have a pretty serious motor

Thanks guys

So this motor is rated for 700hp I thought that the motor was/is rated for 500hp. If it is rated for 700 that is awesome

Thanks for the link john

There is no such thing as a "rating", especially if we're talking about OEM stuff. Some aftermarket companies may advertise their cleaned-up engine blocks as being "capable" of a specific power level, but don't confuse that for a hard-and-fast rating.

That said, it is not terribly uncommon to see a OEM 351 block handle 600-700 HP. The stock rotating assembly probably won't hold up to that, though, so we'd be talking about forged guts in the stock block.

There is no such thing as a "rating", especially if we're talking about OEM stuff. Some aftermarket companies may advertise their cleaned-up engine blocks as being "capable" of a specific power level, but don't confuse that for a hard-and-fast rating.

That said, it is not terribly uncommon to see a OEM 351 block handle 600-700 HP. The stock rotating assembly probably won't hold up to that, though, so we'd be talking about forged guts in the stock block.

i'm in trouble,and well guess not done then