351 with 302 firing order??

• Sponsors (?)

well yeah i know that's what they sell, but what is the down side of running the wrong firing order for that engine? i know it was changed in the HO 302's to put less stress on the front of the crank/bearing..so there must be a reason

~Mark~

If you are efi then you are stuck with the ecu firing order, regardless of how you move the injector plugs...

If you are carb, then I'm pretty sure you just have to re-route the plug wires.

jason

Looks like that it uses a cam that had a standard non-ho firing order. If you want to use EFI and a mustang computer you just need to ditch that crane cam and get a cam that uses a HO firing order. That kit looks like a kit for any 302 not just HO specific.

Mustang78 said:
...firing order... I know it was changed in the H.O. 302s to put less stress on the front of the crank/bearing...
The H.O. 5.0L has a different firing order than the S.O. 302 because of the cam. It came from a 1973 351W Torino engine. How millions of 221-260-289-302 engines STILL use the old firing order and aren't busted all to hell because of this supposed stress on the front bearing? That's a bunch of malarkey.

hey foxchassis, i thought your name was spelled foxchassis not foxchasis(two S's, not one)...maybe i'm going crazy IDK..

Anyway i am staying carbed but want the most from this engine..will i lose any power or peace of mind if i use the 302 firing order in my 351w? i dont like to do screwy things like this because someday i WILL change the cam again, just to get the proper firing order..however i need to order a rebuild kit but every place i look seems to have some stupid thing that turns me away, like this for example

~Mark~