351c 2bbl guys......

1973mach1

May 19, 2003
PA
Could any of you guys tell me which cam you bought? IM looking at Summitracing.com and not sure which one to get. Its stock stall converter, springs, 351c 2bbl, FMX tranny, I added performer intake, 600cfm carb, im adding headers, 2.5in exhaust and 3.73 gears soon. I want to most cam I cam run with this setup.

Thanks
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

You can run up to a 280 degree (advertised) duration cam with a stock stall converter. I unless you're gonna pull the heads stick with no more than a .525 lift cam, something close to a .500 lift would be better. The 4 bbl Cleveland springs were the same ones used on the gt390/428CJ and will work with up to a .525 lift cam.

This is from a post i made earlier about my current setup and cam info:

I'm currenly happy with it, even if the engine took a little while for me to fine tune it.

Here's the link to the crane cam card:
http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=133042

Here's what I'm currently running:

Edelbrock 2v-4v conversion intake (would've done the Weiland but it wasn't availible at the time)
Edelbrock 750cfm 4v carb
Polished, ported and rebuilt 2v heads
New pushrods, bearings, dampener, flat top pistons (i can't remember which brand, where did that reciept go?) etc.
Oil issues addressed
Crane Hydraulic Cam (see link above)
Mallory Unilite Distributor
Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil
Hedman Long Tube Headers
Custom H-pipe
Dual Magnaflow Dynomax mufflers
Rebuilt FMX with a matching stall (i don't remember the stall, but a very trusted trans shop reccommended it for occasional use and not daily driver) and shift kit.
A prior rebuild of a Ford 9" 2.73 gears (for now will be 3.50's when i get the $)

* Advertised duration: 268 intake/268 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 218 intake/ 218 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: 494 in. intake/ .494 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 110 degrees
* RPM range: 1,500 to 5,500

I was looking at this cam but was wondering if tha RPM range is a bit high for a street cleveland, its not a daily driver so I dont care how smooth it is I just want the most bang for the buck.

.458/.484 LIFT, 260/270 ADV DUR., 194/204 @ .050, 105/115 LOBE CTR. . 1200-4800 RPM RANGE.

Was looking at this one also but seems kind of mild for a street car. WHat do you guys think. Are the guys at Summit any good if I call them up, do they know much about Clevelands and camshafts?

Thanks,
Jim

Both those cams are mild ones. I put the bigger Summit house brand cam in a 400M and it's got great bottom end, but you could never tell it's got a high performance cam from the lack of "lope" idles like a stock cam. If you want a lopey cam, go to somthing like a Comp Cams 280H. ( 280 degree duration and .533 lift) this cam also works with a stock stall converter.

Thanks for the reply, what model Summit cam do you have and will it work with my stock cleveland valve springs? I only see one summit model cam for the 351c-400m engines. Its sum-5200

Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 262 intake/272 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: .204 intake/.214 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .484 in. intake/.510 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 112 degrees
* RPM range: 1,500 to 4,000

Thanks
Jim

That's the one I bought. Works great with the stock springs. Normally I favor bigger cams, but I was selling the truck and didn't want to spend a lot on a new cam so the price was right. It's in a 30 over 400M with a 2bbl Holley 500 carb, headers, duals with turbos. It's got great throttle response from a dead stop in a 77 F100 with an automatic.The rpm range will be a little higher in a 351