351C questions

D.Hearne said:
:D Damn, Hack, must have took you most of the night to type all that. :rlaugh: Ever thought about writin books ? :D
:D :)

control c
control v

When I see a post that seems worthwhile to remember, I cut and paste into Word and save it. It's easier for me to find it that way rather than to remember which of my favorites are which. That's where those loooong posts came from.

I hope someone gets something out of the posts, they seem like some very knowledgeable people to me. It does take a bit to get through them. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Hack said:
I've never heard that a C would split from being revved around 7K. I always thought the discussions stated that it would occur at high power levels, whether through forced induction, nitrous, or extremely high rpms at high compression, etc.

The devil is in the details...and I did tend to boil it down into a 'generality'.

If you build a rock solid 351c and set your redline at 7200...and take it to the track a couple times a year, you will not have a problem.

If you build a rock solid 351c and set your redline at 8500, take it to the track every weekend, you will worry about oil mods.

If you build a rock solid 351c, set your redline at 8500, take it to the track every weekend and run a 250 shot of silly gas, you will worry about oil and splitting.

Since I didn't sense we were talking about a huge power monster build for a track car in the thread, I figured "hey, WTF, I'm too lazy to type all the little details out....in general, unless you are going to spin in routinely over 7k, there isn't a darn thing to worry about."
:nice:

I am very simple minded....my momma says so.

My .02...

the 4 bolt issue, it is my understanding that the 4 bolt blocks were only on the "boss 351". They didnt have them in 70.

The blocks are the same, just not drilled/tapped.

If its a 4v 70' it should be the "M" code 300hp motor. (that is what mine is)

For oiling, run a line from the oil pressure sending unit port just above the filter around to the oil pressure sending unit port above the rear main.
If you are going to run a mechanical cam then you can use the moroso oil restrictors, but DO NOT use them with a hydraulic cam.

IMHO the best intake made for the cleveland is WITHOUT question (for a street car) the Blue Thunder intake. Its spendy, but it is to a Cleveland, what the performer rpm is to the mouse motor.

The weak point in the C' for turning rpms is the Intake valves. The stockers were two piece, if you turn em hard, the head breaks off and gets swallowed. BOOM! Buy some manleys, or millodons, or whoever you trust, and forget about it.... she'll spin 7K ALL DAY LONG and be happy.

The weak point of the breathing is the HORRIBLE short side radius of the exhaust ports. This can be helped by MPG Head Service "port plates", or by filling the bottom of the bort with brass, or by getting a good exhaust biased cam like the Lunati "Bracket Master". Get a good, no, I mean good! exhaust system, nice headers, x-pipe, and some low backpressure mufflers and this will also help. Don't skimp here, it's just not worth it.

Just my ops.... not fact, just what I feel to be true. Hope it helps.
Dave-

dodgestang said:
Since I didn't sense we were talking about a huge power monster build for a track car in the thread, I figured "hey, WTF, I'm too lazy to type all the little details out....in general, unless you are going to spin in routinely over 7k, there isn't a darn thing to worry about."
:nice:

I am very simple minded....my momma says so.
KISS - keep it simple stupid. Words to live by. :)

..makes sense to me. I should have probably explained that above in my long quotes from other forums as well. Many times the context is assumed, and the people on the network 54 forum especially are typically building dedicated track cars. You did a really nice job in your post.

D.Hearne said:
:D Little plagery never hurt nobody , huh? :D I see good stuff too but I ain't educated enuff on this here computer to do that fancy stuff. :D Been wantin to post my pics of the old 67-427 fastback, but they never load here on SN. :notnice:
yeah, I put brief comments of my own in parentheses at the beginning, but it may have been unclear.

I could never figure out how to post pictures here either.