351c...

Three50won

10 Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
Hey guys! I came across a 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (yes, not a Mustang but close enough, lol). The owner of it said it has a 351C engine in it. I went and looked at it and noticed that it has 6 valve cover bolts instead of the 8 that the 351C is supposed to have. Also, I noticed that the upper radiator hose goes straight into the intake manifold instead of straight into the engine like the 351C is supposed to. So I questioned him about it and he says it was a crate engine. So I figured I'd ask the community here. Any info/advice? I'm still gonna buy it even if it has the 302. But I'm sure it isn't a 351C because the ECU is not tuned or anything (speed density BTW). Like I said, I'm still gonna buy it. It is in good condition and the price is a steal. What do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

This is a case where a picture would have been best.

The valve cover bolts are a good indication it's a Windsor and not Cleveland.

Ask him to provide documentation. Sounds like a 351w from a truck if you ask me. Is it still efi?
Yes, it is still EFI.
the owner is an idiot who doesnt know how to tell one ford engine from another. its most likely a 302/5.0
Hes a cool guy...but he did admit that he isn't a Ford guy, hes a Chevy guy. And yea I'm leaning towards thinking its a 302. He said it most definitely is a 351...but I'm not soo sure.

All of them have a 302 Windsor except the early ones that had a BMW I6 oil burner. Many many idiots say they have a 351C. Fact of the matter is 351Cs are now worth way more than any Mark VII and are hard to find. Not to be confused with a 351M that is more Cleveland than Windsor but still it is neither.

So simple question, does the motor look like this?:

132753-500-0.jpg

If so its the good old 302. BTW, there are no MPFI kits for 351C so it would have a carb.

While I agree with the majority it's highly unlikely that this engine could be both a Cleveland and EFI....

....never say never to the possibility.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 750
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 262
All of them have a 302 Windsor except the early ones that had a BMW I6 oil burner. Many many idiots say they have a 351C. Fact of the matter is 351Cs are now worth way more than any Mark VII and are hard to find. Not to be confused with a 351M that is more Cleveland than Windsor but still it is neither.

So simple question, does the motor look like this?:

132753-500-0.jpg

If so its the good old 302. BTW, there are no MPFI kits for 351C so it would have a carb.
That is exactly what it looks like.

That is a 5.0L.....as it states on the intake manifold. If he argues, punch him in the face and walk away.

What might this "steal" price be BTW?

Usually, when some idiot thinks they've got something special, they usually want top dollar for it?

Reactions: 1 users
That lookws like one of the old Track heat plenums from Trick Flow. Wonder if the manifold was milled or custom made to fit that 351C. That's pretty trick and just how I would want a Pantara. Actually since I would want it to appear stock I guess I would use a FAST or MSD version that still looks like a carb.

That is a 5.0L.....as it states on the intake manifold. If he argues, punch him in the face and walk away.

What might this "steal" price be BTW?

Usually, when some idiot thinks they've got something special, they usually want top dollar for it?
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4654853092.html

This is the link to the ad. The body is solid with no rust. The clear coat has faded tho...so it'll need a cheap paint job. The interior is a bit messy. Could use a good vacuuming and cleaning. The ower windows don't work, easy fix. And the shift know is facing the wrong way, easy fix. The engine runs solid...nice and smooth with no hesitation. Goes into gear good. Everything works. I guess over the next few months I'll find little things that need to be repaired or replaced. I offered $800 and be accepted. He said he'll drive it down here and I told him I'll give him gas money if he does. So I figure I'll throw him $20. Overall, it looks like a decent car. I don't know what I wanna do with it yet. Track car...resto...sleeper...old school DD with killer hp and good street manners. Soo many ptions. But I'm gonna let it sit for now and just tinker with it every now and then. I still gotta get the Mustang up and running and a paint job and through inspection, the F150 needs tires and exhaust work and rear shocks, I got a twin turbo system on the way for the Camaro so that will need to be installed along with a custom cam and some rear gears...so the Mark can sit for a while. Man, the car game is never ending...

Looks like your first job will be converting it to MAF.

*Edit - he also states it has a 5.0 plenum on a 351. I'd like to know how exactly that works. Every stock 351 lower that I've seen had different shaped ports than that of a 5.0 intake. Somethin ain't right, I tell ya!

Yeah.... Stock 5.0. If you have a hard on for that car grab it if the rest is as clean as you say. I've always liked them abd they make fantastic road cars.

That's a stock 5.0, I can tell by the dimensions. For future reference, there is an easy way to tell the 3 engines apart. On the Cleveland engine, the water outlet bolts to the block, not the intake. To differentiate between the 302 and the 351, look at the timing cover. The top of the timing cover water inlet from the water pump on a 302 is about even with the deck height of the block (even with the head gasket). On a 351, the head gasket is about an inch higher.

Kurt

Looks like your first job will be converting it to MAF.

*Edit - he also states it has a 5.0 plenum on a 351. I'd like to know how exactly that works. Every stock 351 lower that I've seen had different shaped ports than that of a 5.0 intake. Somethin ain't right, I tell ya!
Hmm, I always thought the 302 upper plenums were interchangeable with the 351W lowers. I will eventually convert it over to MAF. But I think I wanna enjoy the SD for a while first. Kinda weird driving a car without MAF, lol!! I've heard the SD cars do not respond well at all to any mods. Is this true?

Yeah.... Stock 5.0. If you have a hard on for that car grab it if the rest is as clean as you say. I've always liked them abd they make fantastic road cars.
Yea I'm thinking a top end kit or a Vortech or both. But all that comes after I get her all nice and pretty!!

That's a stock 5.0, I can tell by the dimensions. For future reference, there is an easy way to tell the 3 engines apart. On the Cleveland engine, the water outlet bolts to the block, not the intake. To differentiate between the 302 and the 351, look at the timing cover. The top of the timing cover water inlet from the water pump on a 302 is about even with the deck height of the block (even with the head gasket). On a 351, the head gasket is about an inch higher.

Kurt
I knew the upper radiator hose thing...but I didn't know about the top of the timing cover thing. I also knew to check the valve cover as the C engine has 8 bolts while the rest have 6. Yea I'm sure it is a 5.0. But I'm still looking forward to getting it.