351W 400hp??

One of the mags supposedly made 400hp with a stock 5.0L (including stock cam) and a set of AFR 165s and 1.7 rockers. Take away the fancy shmancy heads and add in 49 cubic inches, and I dont see why 400hp would be so hard. A TFS stage 1 cam and a set of retro roller lifters would make for a really nice combo. Maybe a little short of 400 ponies, but still a great combo on the cheap.

Has anyone used these retro lifters? Id like to get a set, but they almost seem to cheap to be any good.
Crower 66335-16 - Crower Roller Lifters - JEGS

• Sponsors (?)

One of the mags supposedly made 400hp with a stock 5.0L (including stock cam) and a set of AFR 165s and 1.7 rockers. Take away the fancy shmancy heads and add in 49 cubic inches, and I dont see why 400hp would be so hard. A TFS stage 1 cam and a set of retro roller lifters would make for a really nice combo. Maybe a little short of 400 ponies, but still a great combo on the cheap.

Has anyone used these retro lifters? Id like to get a set, but they almost seem to cheap to be any good.
Crower 66335-16 - Crower Roller Lifters - JEGS

according to the crower catalog those are for late model roller blocks. the retro-fit rollers are part number 66337-16

and here's jegs page on them

Crower 66337-16 - JEGS

get a set of Windsor Jr's

I was just looking at flow numbers for a whole slew of aftermarket heads compared to stock, and stock gt40s will outflow the JRs on the intake under .400" lift, which is where the valve is most of the time anyway. With porting Im sure the JRs would, or at least should, blow the gt40s away, but speaking stock for stock they suck. Plus the relocated spark plug angle may severely hamper your exhaust options.

Hmm... the page I posted says this- "...can be retrofitted for earlier-style blocks." So whats the difference, besides an additional $360?

well they can retro-fitted if you use a small base circle cam.....otherwise it's just a misprint.

i did find a set of link-bar retro roller lifters from Cat power parts for $275 though.

C.A.T.

part number LRH-302B. ignore the part where it says solid cam, they actually should have put flat tappet, not solid. i just downloaded the catalog and it is correct in the catalog.

i've heard ok things about them and really nothing negative but then again i haven't gone out searching for anyone having problems with them either. for $275, though, i just might be willing to give them a try anyway.

I was just looking at flow numbers for a whole slew of aftermarket heads compared to stock, and stock gt40s will outflow the JRs on the intake under .400" lift, which is where the valve is most of the time anyway. With porting Im sure the JRs would, or at least should, blow the gt40s away, but speaking stock for stock they suck. Plus the relocated spark plug angle may severely hamper your exhaust options.
Good info. Are these the "P" heads or just the GT40?

I don't think you aren't getting 'support', I think you are getting some decent advice.

Again, I recommend S B F T e c h d o t c o m, all they do over there is build racing engines, and for them saving a few tenths at the quarter is better than money in the bank.

If you already have a running car, sell off the stuff you aren't going to use, SAVE some money, and build the power plant you really want.

Why do **** three or four times?
If you want aluminum heads, save and shop around. I have two pairs in my living room right now. A brand new never- even- seen a block pair of Trick Flows,( I bought new) and a set of Comp Roller rockers, and a pair of rebuilt/ported Edelbrocks,( I bought used for 1K) and a set of Lunati roller rockers for that pair of heads.
I bought the Trick Flows when I got back from Germany/Qatar in 05. We are pushing 09, and they are still in my living room.
Why? Because I don't have the means yet to pull my W out of my 69, and do teh machine work, and buy the 408 stroker kit that I want.
Most people have more time than money, and that's why when you see an "old" guy driving a new Vette, you know he's really, really enjoying the fruits of his time and labor.