Engine 351w 408 Stroker Build

• Sponsors (?)

ford used the 4 bolt main blocks on 300 hp engines for a reason.

Since we are talking specifically about 351windsor based engines in this thread, are you asserting that the OP should use a stock block 4 bolt main 351w?

If that is the case, I am not aware of any production stock 351w block that ever came in a ford vehicle. If that is not what you are getting at, then can you clarify where you are going with that statement?

Reactions: 1 users
And OP if you set your car up properly ie proper suspension,trans,wheels & tires there is no reason a 408 shouldn't be a 10 sec ride. Plenty mid 10 sec mustangs with them(I know of one that is running 10.20's locally)

Reactions: 1 user
And OP if you set your car up properly ie proper suspension,trans,wheels & tires there is no reason a 408 shouldn't be a 10 sec ride. Plenty mid 10 sec mustangs with them(I know of one that is running 10.20's locally)
My sentiments exactly . no disrespect to Barnett or whatever his name is he
seems knowledgable but more then a handful of times I have seen some mis info spread

Since we are talking specifically about 351windsor based engines in this thread, are you asserting that the OP should use a stock block 4 bolt main 351w?

If that is the case, I am not aware of any production stock 351w block that ever came in a ford vehicle. If that is not what you are getting at, then can you clarify where you are going with that statement?

4 bolts are better for high horse apps like this than a 2 bolt, its that simple. i prefer to err on the side of caution and lean towards over building an eng strength wise than under building one. especially since i warranty most of them. others can gamble and roll the dice if they want.

Waiting on a moment of clarity.
Ditto . I am getting the feeling that Barnett is getting the way wrong idea of Nick here . just because nick is making 4digit numbers doesn't mean he doesn't no what it's like to still be the little guy playing or dis credits any lower hp builds

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto . I am getting the feeling that Barnett is getting the way wrong idea of Nick here . just because nick is making 4digit numbers doesn't mean he doesn't no what it's like to still be the little guy playing or dis credits any lower hp builds
Exactly!!! I'm pretty sure Nick didn't start out with 1400+HP and 1.3 60' times. FOH!

I think @84Ttop was asking what production 351w has 4 bolt mains from Ford. We all know 4 bolt mains are better for high HP apps.
Way back in 1969 and 1970, Ford even put 4 bolt mains on a lowly ol' 302. Not only that, they installed screw in freeze plugs to strengthen it even further, and it only had 290 adv hp. I guess they just liked wasting money.

My 3rd grade math also tells me that this is around 310 hp less than the op's desired 600 and around 710 less than one thousand.

Ford 302 4 bolt block photo.
http://partsnetworkonline.com/images/gn_Ford/DSC06947.jpg

Last edited:
The OP was talking about a roller. So why would he want a non-roller.
Maybe you should ask your friend.

Post 2
If you are sticking with a stock 351 block type build, look for one from the late 60's early 70's (68-73) as these have historically held up better in my experience. As far as the lifters are concerned you can use retrofit roller lifters.
Maybe its because the "old" 351's had a higher nickel content and/or were a stronger design.

Besides, as your friend mentioned, they actually have cams called "retro fit roller" that one can put in all kinds of non roller blocks.

Maybe you should ask your friend.

Post 2

Maybe its because the "old" 351's had a higher nickel content and/or were a stronger design.

Besides, as your friend mentioned, they actually have cams called "retro fit roller" that one can put in all kinds of non roller blocks.
Don't retro fit designs cost a good bit more and still don't have the variety a true roller has. Just sounds like something you could do > something you should do. I just wouldn't suggest someone do something that fits their budget compared to something they should do, long term.

Cam

A 302 is a 302? No! A dart/boss 302 is not a factory 302. You suggested the 69/70 was a 4 bolt main. Yes, but only in boss form.
you missed the point so i can't help ya but you can ask yourself the following.

how many cubic inches is a boss 302?

is it a 302 block, or a 351 windsor block, or 351 cleveland block?

does it have only a wimpy 290 hp or does it have monstrous 600 hp like the op wants?

is a 90's lincoln with 4.6l, 140 hp, a high horse, high performance engine?

why does a 90's 4.6l have 4 bolt mains?

Don't retro fit designs cost a good bit more...

they cost a little more.

and still don't have the variety a true roller has.
they have a big variety and probably a bigger variety for non computer, non efi, non smog engines for high perf builds than oem rollers.

Just sounds like something you could do > something you should do. I just wouldn't suggest someone do something that fits their budget compared to something they should do, long term.
if people do not know their options they cannot make well informed choices. once they know their options, they can make their own choice.

it is simply irresponsible to tell someone that a cheaper part is fine for their app just because they don't have enough money to build it properly.

hey i want an 800 hp engine buy i only have thirty nine dollars and 54 cents to build it, what do you suggest?

ok, now i showed you my 140 hp and 290 hp 289 and 302 engines with 4 bolt mains so its your turn to show me ANY 600 hp factory made engine with just 2 bolt mains. i'll b e waiting

Last edited: