351W block needed

My body work and paint is nearly complete. Now I need to find a good 351W block and a tremec 3550. I am going to be installing a 393 stroker kit into the block and I plan on going with AFR heads. I was wondering if the 1974 and later blocks would be better b/c of the taller deck height. Then again maybe earlier blocks would be better b/c of their higher nickel content. Either way I would like to go with a standard bore which would give me plenty to work with. What's your opinion on the subject?

Aside frome the local swap meets and classifieds were is a good place to shop around. Let me know if anybody here has a 351 they want to sell.

• Sponsors (?)

[QUOTE="REPLIMOD" #17]My body work and paint is nearly complete. Now I need to find a good 351W block and a tremec 3550. I am going to be installing a 393 stroker kit into the block and I plan on going with AFR heads. I was wondering if the 1974 and later blocks would be better b/c of the taller deck height. Then again maybe earlier blocks would be better b/c of their higher nickel content. Either way I would like to go with a standard bore which would give me plenty to work with. What's your opinion on the subject?

Aside frome the local swap meets and classifieds were is a good place to shop around. Let me know if anybody here has a 351 they want to sell.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to worry about "nickle content" until the 80's blocks. I also wouldn't worry about deck hieght as long as the block you get isn't warped badly, you're going to want to have your pistons hit TDC at or around .005 of the deck anyway, as that is where you'll get the best burn.

Find a decent block, and if you can find a nice roller piece from a 97-newer engine...even better.

snowb07 said:
not to steal your thread but what stroker kit did you go with. and are you doing it yourself or having a machine shop do it.
I don;t think you can hijack a thread thats been resurrected from more than 6 months ago :D
HM said:
97 and newer 351w's?
Must mean the 331 not the 351, I guess a OHC is even smoother than a roller though.