351W engine plan

COBRAIIW

Apr 26, 2003
CT
Time to start planning out a 351W build using what I have.
Got a running '78 351W, with an offenhauser intake, otherwise stock.
Got a running '86 5.0 HO roller motor with 10-1 comp., 1.6-1 rollers, street/strip cam (no idea of the lift/durations) larger valves in these home ported heads. stock '86 5.0 I believe.

I want to go with a roller cam, and street/strip applications.
Can I use the 5.0 heads, and pistons?

Stroking is out of my budget right now, but I am considering nitrous in the future.

Any wise advice ?

• Sponsors (?)

Mark, you seem to be making a career out of college, which isn't too bad a deal, but the paychecks are kinda rough in that line of work. Pat, I actually just graduated in december and moved to southern Missouri to get a real job, gotta start making some money, it's good to see there's a II in c'dale though.

Back to CobraIIw's question, I believe you can use the 5.0 heads if you wanted to (it's been a while, so Mark, correct me if I'm wrong) But since you don't know the specs on them, I would suggest doing some work on the 351W heads and going with them, or just save up your money, because it's an expensive project one way or another.

Kyle

In order to bolt the 302 heads onto a 351W block, you would need to drill out the bolt holes in the heads to 1/2" diameter, because the stock bolt holes are factory drilled to accept the 302's 7/16" head bolts.
For any kind of performance, you'll need better heads on a 351W anyway, at least a set of '69-'74 351W heads.

That's what I was planning, drilling the 302 heads, they are fittedwith larger valves and have a roller rocker ratio 1.6-1
what cam and pushrod/lifters would you recommend?
how much trouble to swap the 351W pistons for the 302 10.5-1 pistons?
do the 302 pistons have a different rod end connection than the 351W?

Yeah, '86 302 heads are the worst ones to start with. '78 351W heads are identical to standard 302 heads in terms of flow, the only difference is a huge combustion chamber.
Speaking of combustion chambers, If you do get a set of 302 heads bolted to a 351W, I'd imagine the compression ratio will be high enough(or perhaps too high) for the limits of premium pump gas, without even changing the pistons.

Hmm...
Take the 351W heads and port them, and use the roller rockers from the 302.
Trying to find a good set of DOOE heads from a '69 351W is darned impossible and most likely pricey.

COBRAIIW said:
Hmm...
Take the 351W heads and port them, and use the roller rockers from the 302.
Trying to find a good set of DOOE heads from a '69 351W is darned impossible and most likely pricey.

D0 = 1970, C9=1969. In this case, they're virtually identical heads, with possible slight variation in chamber sizes. The bigger valve/larger intake port 351W heads were produced from '69 to '74.(and maybe some of '75, too) And you're right, they are getting pretty hard to find these days. I bought mine years ago for $50, back when the old 351W head ported on the exhaust side was the way to go for a performance street 302. You can find good used aftermarket heads nowadays pretty cheap.