351w have special headers????

unclejackrock

Mar 4, 2003
Glasgow,Ky
I am looking into buying a 92' GT that has a 351w w/ a spun rod bearing. I will be taking the engine out and replacing it w/ a 302. It has GT-40 heads and BBK headers. Can I reuse the heads and headers on the 302, or are they different?? Someone said that 351w require a different set of headers, but the heads will bolt on a 302. How can that be??

• Sponsors (?)

The main difference between a 351W and a 302W is the stroke, which is why heads are interchangeable. The headers are different, because the taller deck on the 351W changes their location -- you could bolt up 302 headers, but they'd probably hit the chassis.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
And BTW, if it were me, I'd keep the 351W, since the hard part has been done (getting the appropriate swap accessories, like distributor, headers, intake, etc). I'd stroke it to 393 or 408 :nice:.

Dave

The deal is, I want a Fox, but I still have my 95 and I still owe a little bit on it. I found this car DIRT cheap, but after I buy it, I won't have alot of money left to fix it. (The engine has a spun rod bearing, and the front bumper cover and fenders are messed up.) So my plans are to just stick a stock 302 bottom end in the car, put some primered front end parts on temporarily, and ride until I can sell my 4-wheeler and 95 GT. I can get a 302 bottom for about $200-300, and it will cost about $800-1000 to fix the 351. :shrug:

I would LOVE to keep the 351, but cost may not allow it. If I do go w/ the 302, will the 351w headers bolt up and work???

ALSO.....someone said that in order to bolt up gt-40 heads to a 351, they must have the bolt holes drilled out larger. Will they still work on a 302 afterwards???

just toss in some new bearing, should be cheap and you can do the work...no way i would swap back in a 302. and to answer your q, yes the headers are different and will not work because of the deck height difference.

Unless you have the 302 parts handy, I'm thinking it would be cheaper to rebuild the 351.

Let's say you can get a running 302 shortblock for a few hundred bucks. Figure on $150 or so for gaskets and stuff to get the heads installed. Then you have to scrounge up a 302 distributor, intake, headers, and some other small parts. Not sure if you need different accessory brackets on a Fox or not. Basically a 351 swap in reverse.

So I think that an inexpensive rebuild on the 351 would get you running sooner and with less $$$. IMHO.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
Unless you have the 302 parts handy, I'm thinking it would be cheaper to rebuild the 351.

Let's say you can get a running 302 shortblock for a few hundred bucks. Figure on $150 or so for gaskets and stuff to get the heads installed. Then you have to scrounge up a 302 distributor, intake, headers, and some other small parts. Not sure if you need different accessory brackets on a Fox or not. Basically a 351 swap in reverse.

So I think that an inexpensive rebuild on the 351 would get you running sooner and with less $$$. IMHO.

Dave

Does $800-1000 to fix the 351 sound about right?? That's just too much for me since I'll have to replace the front end and some new tires.

I can get a running, pretty low mile, 302 for a couple hundred bux. I have an Eddy intake w/ all the gaskets already, and according to my mech., the accessory brackets will work, as the 351 swap only requires the use of spacers. Then all I would need is headers (I have gaskets for those already), a Dist., and head bolts.

I guess I need to do some math.....