351w Heads

graysdad

Nov 23, 2009
I was told that I can use 351w heads on my 302, is that true and if so what would i need to modify or is a DBO (direct bolt on). I think the head bolts are a different size?:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

351 heads have bigger bolt holes 1/2" i believe. You can buy inserts so they fit in the block with smaller bolts.

I believe using 351 heads arent worth it unless you use old old ones. But still im not sure if its worth all the effort.

Chris

you need a washer kit, the washers double as a head bushing, edelbrock sells them, you can also order ARP studs with the option of getting those instead of regular washers.

FYI. All aftermarket heads require the head bushings because they have 1/2" bolt holes versus the 7/16" 302 head bolts

What 351 heads are you wanting to use?? Cause the only ones that would be a little bit of an upgrade over your e7s would be dooe heads, and if you have to buy them, they really wouldn't be worth the cost

Posted via Mobile Device the c9 and d0 heads which are from 69 and 70 are better but the rest are either only as good or worse than stock. Unless you get them super cheap they're not worth using over gt40s.

Posted via Mobile Device the comment about the bowls is also true. They vary as the years go but i think most are around 60cc bowls. It's easy to fix if you can have them milled down to 58 or whatever you'd like. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're swapping them onto a late model 302 you'll need to buy stud mount rockers since the later heads used pedestal mount style. For the cash you're looking to spend you can find gt40 heads and maybe even used roller rockers.