351W in a 64.5-66?

mustangfreak_2001

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
St Petersburg FL
How easy will a 351w fit in a 64.5-66. I know people have done it, but I did a search and nothing came up.

Do you have to lift the motor out to change the plugs? Or anything like that?

Please post pics if you have them, Im trying to decide what I want as a next pony.

• Sponsors (?)

You need special headers.
Plug changes are tight, but I don't see lifting the engine.
Headers are available from a few sources in 1.5" primarys for a street cruiser, or from Hooker in 1.75" for street/strip.
It is a bolt in swap.
The stock oil filter location will work, but some headers, especially the Hookers, get very close. A 90* adapter or remote filter is best.
Tall intakes, like Victor or Air Gap have hood clearance problems.
RPM and Stealth are tight, but not as bad.
Torker 2 is stock intake height for a sleeper look.
Dave

the 351w fits fine in both cars, the 67-70 has few issues, jus the need for swap headers is all. in the 65-66 cars, swap headers again are all that is really needed and hedman and hooker both have them. plugs changes are a bit harder, but not so as you would notice. for the 65-66 cars i recomend the shorty swap headers as you have better clearance under the car. in either case the 351w bolt right inplace of where the factory 289/302 went. one other item with the 65-66 cars, the shock tower have a tendency to sag over the years, so after you have the old engine out, and before youinstall the new engine, install an export brace. that will get the shock towers back where they need to be, then install the new engine, and a monte carlo bar as well. they make a BIG difference in the front end rigidity.

rbohm said:
the 351w fits fine in both cars, the 67-70 has few issues, jus the need for swap headers is all. in the 65-66 cars, swap headers again are all that is really needed and hedman and hooker both have them. plugs changes are a bit harder, but not so as you would notice. for the 65-66 cars i recomend the shorty swap headers as you have better clearance under the car. in either case the 351w bolt right inplace of where the factory 289/302 went.

Did you use the Z-bar clutch or a hydraulic clutch? Toploader or T-5?

turn71.jpg

This is what a Cleveland looks like in a 65-66 car. Both C and W motors bolt in, with the right headers. It's about the same amount of swap work with either motor. I like the Cleveland much better. The Wow! when I open the hood is great. I had this motor in a '64 Ranchero at one point.

John

I agree to the above statements. However, the hedman headers don't even come close to my oil filter. Spark plug changing for me is a bit hard on the rear two driver side plugs as thats where my brake booster is. I run a serp belt setup I snagged from the junk yard towncar 5.0 motor. This is a bit older pic. Since then I have put in a monte carlo bar. I have no hood clearance problems with the RPM Air Gap because I have a drop base air filter. It is about 1/4 of an inch from hitting my hood though :) Please excuse my dirty engine bay. Here is a pic of my 66 stang:

66stang_Image006.jpg

xj220 said:
How much does the weight balance change with the swap though?

Well, I believe the 351w weighs 65lbs more than the 302 of comparable years. I do have aluminum heads on my engine, so the weight difference should be next to nothing. My old 302 even had an air conditioning compressor which my new 351w does not, so I bet my 351 is even lighter.

roler said:
Well, I believe the 351w weighs 65lbs more than the 302 of comparable years. I do have aluminum heads on my engine, so the weight difference should be next to nothing. My old 302 even had an air conditioning compressor which my new 351w does not, so I bet my 351 is even lighter.
Exactly. The other thing is that with an aluminum manifold a 351W with aluminum heads weighs LESS than the little 289, but the swap also lowers the cg and the roll-center of the entire vehicle as well. The 351W in mine with a holley, K&N air filter, RPM manifold and a 1-inch phenoloc spacer leaves less than a quarter inch with the Shelby scoop. It definitely would not fit with the stock hood on my 67, I dont see how it would fit in the 65/66 cars at all.

What I (we) need are the lowering type of engine mounts but I cannot find them.

Yet if you put all the aluminum goodies on a 289 or 302, they'd still be lighter. My goal is to even out the weight front to rear as much as possible.