351W oil pressure

brendank69

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
Lemberg, Saskatchewan
Okay, i know this is kinda OT as the engine is in a truck, but whatever. Anyways, its a 1990 351W with 315,000km on it, never rebuilt, all stock, and old lady driven for its entire life. I bought the truck a couple of months ago and it has low oil pressure(15psi at idle). The factory gauge or sending unit has some kinda doohickey that makes the gauge drop to 0 oil pressure when it reaches a certain point(I assume its to warn the owner that there is an oil pressure problem and it needs to be taken care of). The gauge shows fine unless i go for a long trip, but when i come to a stop and leave it in gear, the tranny pulls the rpm down (from being in gear) and the gauge drops. If i put it into neutral, it goes back up. I realize that it probably needs cam and crank bearings with the mileage that it has on it, but the truck is only worth $1200 in the first place, it wouldn't really be logical to spend a pile of money on it. I am getting the oil pan gasket changed soon, would throwing in a high pressure oil pump fix my problem? I know im just avoiding the real problem but I just want to get the pressure to come up enough that the gauge doesn't drop to zero anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)