351W questions

Hey guys, im on stangnet quite often reading the fourms and such, dont post a whole lot, but heres my question last year my motor 351W had a holley street dominator single plane intake, 1.6RRs unknown cam. 1970 W heads etc

i switched over to my mods in my sig, but i reused the same pushrods and rockers, took the car out and it does have balls, but it doesnt seem to run as strong as last year, i was told to buy the recommned valve springs for the cam, so i have them waitng to be put in.

last year at the track i ran a 13.6@ 103.94 on street tires, a few years back the car ran 12:80s on slicks owner before me. It had solid lift cam and lifters, i beleive the cam was a comps cam 282 S or somethign along those lines, i know if i put slicks on my car it wont go to 12:80s i was wondering whats so much better about solid lift, i was going to put them back in but its my DD too, and i was told you have to adjust them often.

these are my cam specs also, i was thinking maybe it has something to do with the cam
Int Exh
ADV Dur: 272 286
Dur @ .050: 230 236
Valve lift: .519 .523
Lobe sep: 110.

i was wondering if that is enough cam for the 1.6's

first races for the year are june 23/24th im going to run the car on all motor on slicks, and then run with the 150 shot, should be fun

sorry for the post i know it might not make sence, im not good with wording stuff proerply, bare with me..! thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

I use that cam and it works great for me. What are your 60' times on street tires? You maybe surprised at how much time can be dropped with traction.

I have also wondered about going with a solid lifter cam myself.

When you say the car doesn't pull aswell have you done a compression test? Perhaps one cylinder is getting low and causing the power lose.

I don't have any experience yet, but I will be installing a 'tight lash' solid roller cam from Jay Allen in the next couple of weeks.

As I was told...
It is worth more power over a hyd roller, and the maintenance does not sound too bad... I was told 2-3 times a year, but that will vary with mileage...

jason

I don't have any experience yet, but I will be installing a 'tight lash' solid roller cam from Jay Allen in the next couple of weeks.

As I was told...
It is worth more power over a hyd roller, and the maintenance does not sound too bad... I was told 2-3 times a year, but that will vary with mileage...

jason

I think I could handle that. The question is why do they make more power? I was thinking probably because they allow you to spin up to a higher rpm? Is this correct? If so I doubt I would want one because I really don't want to spin much over 6500rpm anyways.

I am no expert...
I am going on what the true expert (Jay Allen) has expressed to me...

The impression I got was that the power gain would be due to increased stability/accuracy in the valve events, especially at higher rpm's.

Supposedly there is a little more noise (a 'tight lash' setup will not make as much noise as a typical setup), but the lope of my motor should drown that out...

Again, I am no expert in this field.
I am just speculating, based on what I have been told about MY motor, and what I have read from others...

If anyone knows better/more
please speak up, :hail2:

jason

Solid cam = no lifter collapse. You get the full lift,minus the lash.A hydraulic lifter can collapse slightly reducing the lift.And at high rpm,the weak (in comparasion to a solid racing cam) spring required by a hydraulic cam might not be able to control a larger valve as well as one with more pressure,resulting in valve crash (valve hitting the seat,bouncing off agian befor closing).

I dont know what is considered "tight" lash,but I'am runing .024" hot lash.The engine does sound much more "mechanical" compared to a hydraulic.

with a solid roller ther is ZERO loss of lift due no hydraulic collapse. This would be the most obvious gain i could pull out of the "power gain" if moving from a hyd to a mechanical roller camshaft but i really do not feel it is worth the price unless your spinning the motor up or if u have to buy the linked lifters anyway (older non roller windsors) my windsor build im working on is going to be solid roller due to the hyd rollers costing just as much unless i wanted to go with a smaller base circle cam, drill for the spyder and use stock HO lifters but why 1/2 @ss it? It also takes ALOT stronger of a spring to stand up to a solid roller setup so that is something else to keep in mind when wanting to switch