Engine 351w Questions

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
Hey all, I'm finally biting the bullet and plopping a 351 in the car. Thus, I'm starting an ongoing Q/A while the project is under way. I've already researched a lot on the subject, but some details still allude me, like...

- I need a 28 oz 157 thooth flywheel for a diaphragm still clutch. Most places sell very expensive billet steel or aluminum flywheels of this nature. I'm a simple guy. A regular old iron flywheel will work fine for this daily driver. Where do I find one, and/or what year-make-model should I look up in a part search to get one of these? Surely someone makes an iron flywheel for less than $200.

Thanks Gents!

• Sponsors (?)

Question #2: What oil filter for the 351? Can I still use the FL1A?
Question #3: Will the stock air inlet tubing still fit w/extra width of the 351? I'd like it to look as stock as possible.

Last edited:
The 351 uses the same oil filter as a 302. I would gather that the stock tubing will work for the intake. It will just be a little stretched because the intake will sit higher.

Kurt

The 351 uses the same oil filter as a 302. I would gather that the stock tubing will work for the intake. It will just be a little stretched because the intake will sit higher.

Kurt
Thank you for your help, Kurt!

How about some more Qs?

1) I don't want a high pressure or high volume oil pump. I just want a stock replacement for the mild build. I'm switching to the oil pan set up for the swap (rear sump), what year/make/model oil pump and drive shaft?

2) What year/make/model for oil pan bolts, intake to block bolts, and head bolts? Again, i'm fine with stock replacement. I do not need ARP. I've even heard that the ARP oil pump drive shafts cause distributor fitment issues! I just want good old reliable stock/mild components.

Thanks again!

Update: The oil pump & pump shaft issue has been solved. Mabbco motors stocks things like that.

Still trying to find out bolt sizes for oil pan and lower intake manifold if anyone has any info.

Not using an HD pump drive is being kind of stupidly cheap. Twizzler shaped stock shafts do not make for good oil pressure. The only time I heard of a fitment issue was in combination with an after market distributor that was not to specs.

New question: I'm finding out very quickly that even a mild 351 will peg a stock 70mm MAF. I plan on getting a Pro M 75mm or similar BBK. Any thoughts on either?

The main question: I live in CA therefore I need to keep my stock air inlet housing. I'm pretty certain that a 75 or 76 mm MAF will fit into it, but will there be enough room in the engine bay for the stock air housing? The 351 is wider and that alternator is fairly close to the housing already. I need to purchase a MAF that stays in the stock housing.

Sorry, haven't been here in awhile. Been busy. Most engine builders do not recommend using a high volume oil pump on mild builds. A 70mm will probably be fine, but there is no disadvantage with going to a bigger one. I didn't know they still made 70m MAFs.

I am not quite sure on al the thread counts.
Intake is 5/16" x 18 x 2"
Oil Pan small is 1/4' medium thread about 3/4" long
The 4 bolts on the end are 3/8" x 16 x 3/4"

That's to the best of my recollection.

Kurt