Fox 351w Roller Coversion Kit Good Or Bad

• Sponsors (?)

Just get a regular hyd roller cam and use a link bar roller lifter set. A good lifter set will cost about350-500$ and with a good billet core cam/timing chain expect to pay around 1000$.

i was looking at this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk35-427-8/overview/make/ford and was wondering if it was a good kit to go with or is there a better way to go with i head the 302 spider tray way is not a good way to go
What type of application will you be using this in?

Just get a regular hyd roller cam and use a link bar roller lifter set. A good lifter set will cost about350-500$ and with a good billet core cam/timing chain expect to pay around 1000$.
The above listed kit is actually pretty solid for a street warrior type build, it has link bar lifters and a healthy cam and at a surprisingly reasonable price. I will say that maximum effort builds do benefit from custom cams but they aren't always the answer. More curious to know about the rest of the combo before making final judgment. If its a mud truck it's not going to work well but an aluminum headed 351w with a C4 in a mustang... now we are talking!

What type of application will you be using this in?

The above listed kit is actually pretty solid for a street warrior type build, it has link bar lifters and a healthy cam and at a surprisingly reasonable price. I will say that maximum effort builds do benefit from custom cams but they aren't always the answer. More curious to know about the rest of the combo before making final judgment. If its a mud truck it's not going to work well but an aluminum headed 351w with a C4 in a mustang... now we are talking!
I should have clicked link. It's early and I needed coffee lol. I read "retro fit" and made an assumption. Oops.

What heads,compression ratio,induction system and rear gear are you running? That cam is pretty aggressive. Looks like a nice budget friendly combo. Just an aside when I did my custom cam and was talking to the cam guru he informed me to stay away from comp cams link bar lifters. They had a higher failure rate. He recommended morel lifters to me.

the heads are 58cc and 190 intake runner im planing on putting a 373 after i get everything figured out with the motor i also have another question i know people usually get a different hood because of how much bigger the motor is then the normal 5.0 is it the intake that hits the hood?

You can usually fit it under the hood with drop mounts and certain intakes. Is this going to be a carb car? Also you might want 4.10 gears with that cam. Is this a stock shortblock? Or aftermarket Pistons? A lot of the 80's 351s had extremely low compression(8:1 area) and those heads won't get you at or above 9.5:1cr(which that cam needs). Also you're going to need some good headers and exhaust.

I want to make it fuel injected so everything bolts up to the existing harness and I'm not positive if I'm going with that cam I found a 90's or late 80's ho motor would that have decent compresion and I don't want to go past 373 and I was thinking to stay with the stock pistons

also would this be a good idea with the 4-barrel throttle body
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/edl-29245/overview/make/ford
Yes. And those 351 ho non roller motors were still low compression Pistons. With 58cc heads you will be raising the ratio. I'm just not sure what the end result will be. If you measure the dish volume and how far down in the cylinder the piston sits you will be able to guesstimate the final ratio(with compressed gasket and combustion chamber volume-58cc). Don't think that intake/throttle body will fit under the hood. Actually be hard to get under a 2" cowl hood. I think with all the tricks a tfs r box intake will though.

Ive been thinking of doing a 351 based 393 build. Big bang for the buck with stock ford parts other than the crank.

Ive been thinking of doing a 351 based 393 build. Big bang for the buck with stock ford parts other than the crank.
Stock 351 rods/302 pistons and 3.85" crank=393:)
Well worth the effort IMO. With those heads compression will be high though. Also you would have to check ptv clearances(no matter what this has to be done anyway). Plenty of those motors make around 500hp with ots parts.

Reactions: 1 users