351W roller long block - Value?

Cook89Notch

Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Close to Lansing, MI.
Hey y'all, been out of the Mustang scene for a while. I'm looking for some advice. I have a nice 351W roller long block out of a 95 F150. 64K miles on it. Heads, pan, pump, most everything is there, minus the intake... I know the heads are crap but it's all there and is in great shape.

Guy I work with wants it, any idea what I should ask for it?

Thanks, Matt.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if this helps or not, it just came to mind when I read your thread....
My local junkyard (not a u-pull) has a 97 F250 with low mile 351w that was in a flash flood, up to the hood (engine NOT running at the time), and they want $200 for the entire engine. TB to oil pan, all accessories, serp drive, etc... Very complete.
Insurance paid off the entire vehicle as totalled, and it is unknown if the engine will run, but it does spin.
If it was running, they get $500, again with all accessories and serp drive still attached and a 90 day warranty.

So that might give you an idea of the range one might pay at a commercial salvage yard.
A u-pull will be cheaper, but a much riskier purchase, as well as the time to pull it yourself.

Thinking about it for a moment, imagining it was in MY shop taking up space, and I had no use for it...
I'd probably ask $200 for it, and therefore have room to get haggled down, and maybe set a $150-175 'floor' for the least I would take.

Then again, the guy may not be sharp enough to think of looking in salvage yards... So that begs the question: "How much do you like the guy?".
If he want's it bad enough, and you don't care if he gets the best price he can, you could ask alot more. It all comes down to how 'ethical' you want to be, and if you can still sleep at night if you rape him just a little. ;)

Including the core charge and a 30-day warranty, I paid $250 for my (complete) roller 351 from the local u-pull-it. I see (complete) 351 engines, including rollers, on craigslist around here ranging from 400 to 600. A local yard has one already pulled and ready to go for $450.

So I would expect $400+ to be an asking price for what you've got.

BTW, I don't think "what's it worth" threads are kosher, so this might get shut down.

I wouldn't pay more than $250 and that's only if I don't have to do the work and pull it out myself. If you had proof/documentation of a recent freshening up, that's different. Those engines may not be a dime a dozen but they're far from rare.

That, and 1 in 3 are cracked down the middle, under the cam bearings.

My machine shop just called me an hour ago, mine is healthy.

I think the 1/3 or 1/5 that Jim quoted includes blocks that have been driven to hell and back. I don't mean to put words in his mouth (but here I go anyway), but I would be inclined to believe that blocks with a moderately healthy service life history are less likely to be broken...?

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone here. I was looking for advice, help and info. Just like I have for years here at Stangnet. Isn't that one of the best things about being a member here?
I've been around for a long time. I'm no spammer or dealer or whatever....

Reactions: 1 user