351w stroker using 302 forged pistons ??

slick_nick

Aug 30, 2008
seen a post on here about using forged pistons from a 302 and a stroker crank to make a 393. i got a std bore 74 block and i like the idea of it being cheap. searched but couldnt find the post again. what i wanted to know was

what size rods are used?

what all has to be clearanced on the block?

and can you use a factory 351w oil pan?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Stock 5.956" 351w rods. 302 1.605" compression height pistons. They don't need to be forged. No clearance adjustments need to be made. The stock pan will bolt right up. 3.85" crank used. You can pick one up from Summit for $299.95.

That's what I needed to see too. I already have the pistons and rods and bearings. Now all I need is the crank and new rings. 393 strocker here I come. Although I wouldn't use a cheap crank. Use a brand you can trust . I had a 302 in a thunderbird ruined due to a summit brand cam breaking a month after install. I used a remanufactured crank from advance auto parts in my mustang and it broke and shattered the block . Take it from my misfortune, there are some parts you can go cheap on , but the rotating parts are not one of them.

There was a write up on here years ago about a 393 stroker for under 1k, but i haven't seen or heard about that thread in years and don't recall the name. I don't even remember who typed it up but the engine was pretty stout, i think it ran GT40 heads on it from a Lightning...it was a super low buck engine but it was pretty impressive.

Actually , I found the equation to figure out different cubic inches by using the bore and strock. (bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders = cubic inches ). This combo would equal out to 387 and this combo bored .030 is the 393 (392.8 to be exact) also , I found out that 61.2 cubic inches = 1 liter. So these are 6.3 liters and 6.4 liters . Sounds alot bigger when you say it like that. Have fun with these calculations , I know I did.:nice: