Progress Thread 351w Swap...in A Vert

After kinks worked out and 300 miles on the clock...
351 front view.JPG

351 driver side view.JPG

351 passenger side view.JPG

If this looks like a stock 302 save the CAI then we achieved our goal. After driving this thing for awhile we also installed a set of DynoMax 14" Super Turbo mufflers in place of the FlowMaster 44s. The Flows were too loud with the 351 & Ecam. Setting off people's alarms on the way to work in the morning is not the kind of attention I desire. With a Magnaflow H-Pipe,DynoMax mufflers, 351, and Ecam the car has a nice muscular/refined sound.

Parts list is on the way. Any questions, comments, crys of shock, or outrage?

• Sponsors (?)

Attached is a parts list of what we used to complete the swap. The list includes the part, part number, and source. As with any job like this one there will be additional costs (parts) needed to complete the job. The parts list does not include gaskets and/or fluids. When performing a job like this budget in an extra 30% above you build plan. Things always come up!

Attachments

• 351 Swap Part List.pdf
    177.9 KB · Views: 792
Don't know if you've fit it yet, but how big of a cowl did you need (or did you at all) with the drop mounts and your GT40 intake?
So we switched from solid drop mounts to Energy Suspension mounts. I like the ES mounts way better. They are designed to copy the vert mounts anyhow. The engine still filts under the 96 Cobra hood.

Reactions: 1 user
Interested in your exhaust set up, and how loud it is compared to your 302.

Always wanted a 351w just for the stronger block, but am worried the extra cubes will make it far too loud for my daily driver, mind you I'm looking at 408 strokers and that does not help in that category lol.
Dacon, there is no doubt that it is louder with a 351. The main difference is that the exhaust note has more "presence," or bass. I solved the "problem" by switching from Flowmaster super 44s to Dynomax 14" Super Turbo mufflers. I highly suggest those mufflers for a few reasons: 1) they give the car a much more refined sound, 2) they flow way better than Flowmaster 44s, 3) You won't set off the neighbor's car alarms on the way to work in the morning, 4) you can actually talk to your passenger, and 5) your radio is suddenly useable again.

The car sounds great -in my opinion with those 14" Super Turbos. As for the rest of the exhause; I have FRPP shorty headers (off the 302), and Magnaflow hi-flow H-Pipe to keep the CA inspectors happy.

I hope this is helpful.

@joetrainer31 I just wanted to compliment you on this entire thread. I don't have a convertible, and I don't plan on getting a 351, but if I did, I'd have everything I needed here. Great stuff, great pictures, and great outcome. Thanks for sharing!
Hey jozsefsz! Good to hear from you again. I hope all is well and you have your quarter horse dialed in. Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement. It sounds like I accomplished what I intended with this thread; to help others considering the same type of project.

There have not been much replies, but I'm hopeful that in time the thread will help others.

Yo, have you got any dyno numbers on this, very curious of what numbers you pulled off this DD!!
Sorry man. No dyno #s, but the torque is GREAT. Rear uppers/lowers are a must to get any hook. A torque arm would be better. I would not do this in a vert again because its a different fit and a pain, but I'd do it in a coupe for sure. The thing is, I did a very mild build. If I just put aluminum heads and 30# inj I'd see another 50-60HP.

Sorry man. No dyno #s, but the torque is GREAT. Rear uppers/lowers are a must to get any hook. A torque arm would be better. I would not do this in a vert again because its a different fit and a pain, but I'd do it in a coupe for sure. The thing is, I did a very mild build. If I just put aluminum heads and 30# inj I'd see another 50-60HP.
Go get some numbers, yeah the heads obviously would bumpmit up, but we need a base here!!! Go do some pulls somewhere and get a dyno sheet!! Lol

Go get some numbers, yeah the heads obviously would bumpmit up, but we need a base here!!! Go do some pulls somewhere and get a dyno sheet!! Lol
Even without numbers I can say that the car would out run the '95 Cobra R. I say this because They both have the 351, and both have GT40 heads, but the one we built had a better cam (E), better rocker arms (Scorpion Endurance), a better MAF (Prom-M 75mm), a CAI (BBK vs Stock), better gearing (373), better suspension (Energy Suspension throughout), and most of all, it was tuned! So, I'd say over 300 because that's about what the '95 R was.

Sorry to say, I cannot get dyno numbers, unless you want a Desktop Dyno print out lol, because a retired gentleman bought it from me not long after it was completed. He is in the midwest and he enters it in car shows now. He's made some further cosmetic improvements to it too.

However, I have another build going on if you're interested: Progress Thread - Nasty Ninety Notch | Mustang Forums at StangNet

So I found this, just moved it down on the powerband but the Torque was higher, Gt40 trademark lol
.... this is Ecam with Gt40 heads with a 302 v.s. 351

Given my dyno rwhp/rwtq numbers with my Ecam - 302, this is pretty good read of what iron heads and ecam slapped onto a 351 would do. We all know lots were left on the table doing this, but just to see a dyno graph puts it into better perspective.

3329427454_84262a9f52_z.jpeg

So I found this, just moved it down on the powerband but the Torque was higher, Gt40 trademark lol
.... this is Ecam with Gt40 heads with a 302 v.s. 351

Given my dyno rwhp/rwtq numbers with my Ecam - 302, this is pretty good read of what iron heads and ecam slapped onto a 351 would do. We all know lots were left on the table doing this, but just to see a dyno graph puts it into better perspective.

3329427454_84262a9f52_z.jpeg
Even in a heavier vert the torque was MUCH better. And no, a 347 is not the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Even without numbers I can say that the car would out run the '95 Cobra R. I say this because They both have the 351, and both have GT40 heads, but the one we built had a better cam (E), better rocker arms (Scorpion Endurance), a better MAF (Prom-M 75mm), a CAI (BBK vs Stock), better gearing (373), better suspension (Energy Suspension throughout), and most of all, it was tuned! So, I'd say over 300 because that's about what the '95 R was.

Sorry to say, I cannot get dyno numbers, unless you want a Desktop Dyno print out lol, because a retired gentleman bought it from me not long after it was completed. He is in the midwest and he enters it in car shows now. He's made some further cosmetic improvements to it too.

However, I have another build going on if you're interested: Progress Thread - Nasty Ninety Notch | Mustang Forums at StangNet
joetrainer31
Even in a heavier vert the torque was MUCH better. And no, a 347 is not the same.
joetrainer31, not sure if you will get this as the thread is two years old but I'm looking at purchasing this 351 vert swap that you built. I shot you a message about it. thanks

joetrainer31

joetrainer31, not sure if you will get this as the thread is two years old but I'm looking at purchasing this 351 vert swap that you built. I shot you a message about it. thanks
If you're not sure how to check, go to your screen name, hover for drop down, then click on conversations and you will see it.