351W With Gt40 Heads And Intake

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Joey5.0, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Joey5.0

Joey5.0 Member

What kind of power are we looking at here? Also how strong is the windsor block?
    Im looking for a new motor for my car and ran into a 351w With Gt-40 Heads and intake manifold complete motor From pan to manifold. Only thing is that it has a 94-95 style gt-40 upper intake manifold. Can tha easily be swapped for a 87-93 upper gt40 manifold?

2. maxine-70

maxine-70 New Member

yip. the uppers are interchangeable. its the bottoms that are different. did someone put this combo together or is it an early lightning motor?

this it the combo im thinking of building for my 86. im running a 5.0 gt-40 explorer motor now and thought about building the 76 351W motor in my garage and putting my heads on it.

the 351W is a considerably stronger block than the 5.0/302. its capable of handling higher power outputs due to a much more rigid block. plus, it can take stroker kits in the 400+ inch range and beyond. the 302 is limited to 347 (at .030 overbore).

we cant tell you what kind of power it has, you didnt mention anything about the motor.....is it stock or built, what cam, roller or not, compression ratio, etc

even stock, it would be a noticable gain in torque over a 302. buy it

3. maxine-70

maxine-70 New Member

yip. the uppers are interchangeable. its the bottoms that are different. did someone put this combo together or is it an early lightning motor?

this it the combo im thinking of building for my 86. im running a 5.0 gt-40 explorer motor now and thought about building the 76 351W motor in my garage and putting my heads on it.

the 351W is a considerably stronger block than the 5.0/302. its capable of handling higher power outputs due to a much more rigid block. plus, it can take stroker kits in the 400+ inch range and beyond. the 302 is limited to 347 (at .030 overbore).

we cant tell you what kind of power it has, you didnt mention anything about the motor.....is it stock or built, what cam, roller or not, compression ratio, etc

even stock, it would be a noticable gain in torque over a 302. buy it

4. Joey5.0

Joey5.0 Member

IT is an early lighting motor with the gt-40 stuff with 94-95 style manifold and and TB. Brand spankin new with 94-95 harness for 3700$. I can still run my stock 1990 gt harness to it if i change the manifold to a 87-93 gt-40 manifold correct?

looks like i need to call and see what the specs are on it.

5. maxine-70

maxine-70 New Member

yip, just get a straight fox style upper intake. shouldnt need anything else but some 351W headers and a flywheel. make sure its got the right style oil pan for your car too.

is it rebuilt or a new unused ford motor? $3700 isnt too bad if its new or fully rebuilt by a reputable shop. i thought you were talking about a used motor to build.

6. Joey5.0

Joey5.0 Member

They said its a new lighting 351W Block with GT40 heads and intake manifold. Compression Ratio is 9:5:1. What kind of internals did the lighting motors have?
    How much HP can i run on it safely?