393 build input

I have a 1988 Mustang lx 5.0l 5spd. Going to be a street machine 98% street driven 2% track, Currently building a 393 carb to Drop in, I just am unsure on which heads would work best with my combo, afr 185s? 205s?? or something cheaper with similar flow would be great! wanted assembled heads also. If you have any input in the components i already have let me hear it! Also any hp guesses?

Comp Cams magnum hydraulic flat tappet 292h
victor jr intake
scat cast 3.850 crank
Pistons Search Results for KB364-030 - SummitRacing.com
Holley 4150 avenger 750cfm
Heads???

• Sponsors (?)

Your about 4 days too late, summit was just running a wicked sale price on trick flow CNC 205's for 1500 bucks. That would be the head i put on that motor, personally i think AFR's are a little over rated

My dad has a 393 running AFR 185s. The upgraded version, but no work done to them. This is a race car but has been 9.88 @ 136 with a simple 393/AFR/Solid Roller/Carb set up.

That being said, I'm sure he would benfit from larger heads, these were just redily available at the time, and he has been pleased with them.

My dad has a 393 running AFR 185s. The upgraded version, but no work done to them. This is a race car but has been 9.88 @ 136 with a simple 393/AFR/Solid Roller/Carb set up.

That being said, I'm sure he would benfit from larger heads, these were just redily available at the time, and he has been pleased with them.

Out of curiosity, does he run a forged crank, and what does he spin that engine to (RPM)? Flat tappet or roller?

I would have to get exact specs from him, but he designed it to rev low, 6500 tops. Forged crank, nitrous pistons, van block, used heads, used intake, I believe roller (not exactly sure), used transmission. Budget build, but the car is set up for the track. A street version of what he has is probably a middle 10 second car.

I would have to get exact specs from him, but he designed it to rev low, 6500 tops. Forged crank, nitrous pistons, van block, used heads, used intake, I believe roller (not exactly sure), used transmission. Budget build, but the car is set up for the track. A street version of what he has is probably a middle 10 second car.

By "nitrous pistons" I assume you mean high compression...? Does he spray the car?

Damn, I love stroked Windsor Foxes. I think dropping a W between the strut towers is how God meant these cars to be.

Yes higher compression, 12:1 I believe...

He runs on motor now, but the car might see a smaller 150-200 shot sometime in the future. He made some changes since the 9.88 and wants solid 9.7xs this year. I think if/when he gets it to the 9.5x range he might throw a shot on it. I think the block might not be up to that task, but only one way to know...

:D

ANYWAYS any opinions?

Easy, tiger. This is a TALK section, guys TALK in here and 25thmustang's father's car is running the heads he's recommending you use so what they're BSing about is pertinent information for your question.

Anyway, I'd go with the Trickflow CNC 205s. That's a whole lot of head for the money, which is also what she said.