393 stroker, stock oil or aftermarket high volume

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
I have a 67 mustang couple. So I'm trying to figure out if i can run a stock oil pan with my 393 stroker. Will that hold enough oil to keep it safe, especially if i use a high flow oil pump? The only reason why i would want to use the stock pan is because i plan to lower the engine 1/2" with the motor mounts, and i plan on lowering the car pretty low. Or are there any high volume oil pans that don't sit so low?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,

I am running one of the Canton 7qt T-Pan Oil Pans on my 408w. I also have a 25% of stock volume oil pump. This is all in my 65 coupe which is lowered about an inch and the motor is on the Ron Morris adjustable mounts which I think lower the motor a little too. I have never had any clearnace issues with the pan, even on speed bumps. That said you can see it showing just under the front roll pan. If you want some pictures I can snap some tonight. I say get something like the T-Pan, the large capacity is always good for piece of mind. especially if you are making the motor work!:nice:

Hi,

I am running one of the Canton 7qt T-Pan Oil Pans on my 408w. I also have a 25% of stock volume oil pump. This is all in my 65 coupe which is lowered about an inch and the motor is on the Ron Morris adjustable mounts which I think lower the motor a little too. I have never had any clearnace issues with the pan, even on speed bumps. That said you can see it showing just under the front roll pan. If you want some pictures I can snap some tonight. I say get something like the T-Pan, the large capacity is always good for piece of mind. especially if you are making the motor work!:nice:

Similar experience here with my Canton 7qt. I checked its depth before installation and it was nearly the same depth as the stock 69' pan. My motor is also lowered, right down to the round frame cross member.

Cantonvsstock4.jpg

Cantonvsstock3.jpg

Cantonbottom.jpg

1IMG_0894_tn.jpg

I am using the Milodon version of the same pan. It also doesn't sit any lower, and the dipstick through the timing cover still works.

I am not a fan of high volume oil pumps, per se. Your oil passage clearances are what they are, and stock oil pumps do fine. Anything pumped beyond what your clearances flow just bypasses anyway.

wow, thats not a big difference at all on the oil pan. Thanks for the help, i'll go with the canton oil pan (or other brands with similar dimensions). Can anyone else agree with MAX POWER about the high volume oil pump? If thats the case, then whats the point of getting a high flow oil pump if it doesn't make a difference.

Running a NON hi-volume on my 347 also. Last teardown to check the bottom end everything looked perfect. (8500+rpm thru the traps)

The other bad about the hivol is the added stress it puts on the shaft from the distributor to the oil pump. I was seeing 80-90psi with mine. Now I see about 50-60 at speed.

wow, thats not a big difference at all on the oil pan. Thanks for the help, i'll go with the canton oil pan (or other brands with similar dimensions). Can anyone else agree with MAX POWER about the high volume oil pump? If thats the case, then whats the point of getting a high flow oil pump if it doesn't make a difference.

The primary purpose from what I gather, is for racing. Cars run continually at high rpm, circle track, etc. For a small block Ford, I've not seen a street application that REQUIRED anything more than a standard volume pump.

While on the subject though... I recently assisted a friend in removing a high volume pump from his 89 Fox (now my 89 Fox, more on that in a different thread). He'd been running that pump in a stock oil pan for roughly a year with no problems. It wasn't until he was roughly 2 hours into a long road trip that he noticed his oil pressure was dropping to what seemed to be a dangerously low level. He stopped, checked oil, everything looked fine, so he started back up and continued. 30 minutes later, the same thing. He cancelled the trip and returned home thinking that the pump was going to fail.

Come to find out that the oil pan was being emptied by the pump faster that the oil was returning to the pan. This occured once the oil was well heat saturated. We replaced the pump with a standard volume and he hasn't had the problem since.

Everything was being lubricated just fine. No damage to bearings, cam, rockers, rings or anything else. Just a low pressure indication when the oil pickup was able to intermittently grab air vs. oil.

I also run a 7 quart Miloden pan. I keep 5 to 6 quarts in it for windage. Standard volume oil pump. It works great.

I don't think the question is about whether or not you should run a standard volume pump. I think the question should be: "Do I NEED a high volume pump for my particular application. "

In almost all apps for a Ford small block on the street. I'd say that the answer is no.