393 Swap for Ranger?

351vic

Jun 13, 2007
Pierz, MN
Hey guys i'm looking for some advice on a 393 stroker kit. I've got a '72 block, .060 with a spun bearing so i'm thinking a 399 stroker would be my best bet for a good time.....? I've heard bad things about factory rods and i've broken a few and bent a bunch with 300-350 hp stock stroke combos so any help regarding part recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I intend to drop it in an '87 Ranger but the one I have is plenty rusty and I'm looking for a cleaner 2WD one if anybody has one near central MN let me know. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah but therein lies the problem. I have the block ready to go already, I have a bunch of factory rods, and I have a set of 273CP pistons for a 302 which I'm pretty sure is what i need. 5.956 rods with 302 pistons in which the pin doesn't intersect the oil ring and a 3.850 stroke. In that essence, all i'd have to buy is the crank. The 408 would require custom everything right? And yeah I'm not a BBF swap fan lol i swapped a 429 CJ in a '78 Bronco and would never do it again thats way too much work lol and I'd imagine the Ranger might be a slight bit more difficult. Thanks though.