393w questions

GT_green_GT

Dec 31, 2005
Im within a few weeks of puttin the car together and im questioning a 393w build.

As of right now i have a 94 351w roller motor. I was gonna use the factory crank. 69 rods and these dished trw that i have. planned on a turbo. but have sold it to finish the motor.

I have performer heads that have 2.05 intake valves installed and flow equivalent to the rhs 200cc heads.

A Victor efi intake.
Comp xe282 cam with scorpion 1.6 rockers.

What i was thinking of doing was grabbing a stroker crank. use the 69 rods and the 302 pistons out of my original motor in the 95. but i am concerned about compression ratio and ptv clearance.

What kind of power would i make with the 351w?

What about with the 393w?

Would the compression be too high with the factory 95 hypers? or am i gonna slam em into the valves with that cam anyway?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to scratch the idea of using the stock pistons. Hyper pistons are so cheap that there is no point of even trying this. You can pick up a set on ebay for under $300. Strongly recommend you spend the money on forged ones though. If the wrist pin is in the correct place, which it probably won't be, you really need to bore the block, so the pistons won't be big enough anyway. On top of that, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell stock pistons are going to have big enough valve reliefs for an Extreme Energy cam and 2.05" valves. By the time you get the pistons fly cutted for that much valve, there won't be any piston left, and you will have spent more than you would have on another set of pistons. You need to talk to someone who does stroker engines, like fordstrokers.com. I'm not sure a 351 stroker uses stock length rods either. Everything in a stroker engine needs to be matched. The wrist pins on the piston are mounted higher up on a stroker setup than they are on a stock stroke engine.

Kurt

you obviously know nothing about a 393w. I already know enough that the motor will work. Yes it does use a factory length 351w rod of 5.956. the 302 is the same bore diameter as the 351w. and the piston pin is in the proper place for a 393w. This is typically what a budget 393w is. I wasnt asking if it was possible. im just questioning my cam choice. These pistons have bigger reliefs cut in them already. You dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to have fun. Especially when i wont be spraying the motor at all.

how do you know i need to bore my block anyway. you personally checking my stuff out. Any 100,000 mile 5.0 or 5.8 still has factory crosshatch in them. Why waste money at the machine shop when i can hone it myself.

Eeeh Budget motors dont usually have heads with 2.05 intake valves. Your hyper pistons and 2.05 valves WILL be smacking some serious piston. unless you get a cam with no lobes. Long story short....you'll need pistons. Unless you want to use a near stock cam and buy some stock heads or gt40's.

So im with Mr. Kurt...But then again what would we know about stroker motors?:rolleyes:

Chris

Actually a stock 302 block has a slightly wider bore. Factory bore on a 302 is 4.0008" and factory bore on a 351 is 4.0000." But you are welcome to try it. You are almost definately going to have PTV clearance issues though.

Kurt

Actually a stock 302 block has a slightly wider bore. Factory bore on a 302 is 4.0008" and factory bore on a 351 is 4.0000." But you are welcome to try it. You are almost definately going to have PTV clearance issues though.

Kurt

I'm sure hes gonna use clay to check ptv. If not ide love to see the thread titled "My 393 first start" Hell have more explosions and oil than the gulf of mexico lol.

Chris

When I built my 351w I degreed my fti custom cam in. I then checked p to v clearance. I was in disbelief. I had ported twisted wedge heads at the time....so the valve angle helped, but still....

I had a **** load of clearance. I stopped and emailed ed to double check I didn't screw up the degreeing part. He reassured me I was correct. The piston speed of the 351w is much faster....so p to v is easier to clear.

That said, sadly I do not have those cam specs to compare then to your cam.

Beyond that, try it. Worst case, you test it and it doesn't clear. Sell the cam or cut reliefs yourself.

Or sell the cam now and just go custom.

Either way, short of a very very very few people....I wouldn't listen to anyone online except a professional. Just cause you have a stroked 302, or even a 351....unless someone has personally done something with what you're attempting.....their opinion doesn't matter.

Try to find that engine combo with that cam. Make a post on hardcore50.

what kind of power? it all depends on what you spin it to.

to spin it high enough, you need some light rods and valve train. and an internally balacned rotating assembly would help.

those are good cams though. a guy on hardcore50 goes 10s all day with one. his is in a 418, but it has out of the box heads and intake.