3g alt acting as bad as 2g!

jammer84_03

Nov 30, 2003
well. i just purchased a 3g alt and did the swap. i have the inline fuse and everything works. the problem is, when i turn on the lights, turn on the heat, roll both windows down it seems like the alt cant keep up with the draw and the voltmeter drops big time. i went and had the battery checked and it was only reading 13.7 when i had it reving at 2,000 rpm.

i know this alt should be good enough not to have that needle budge. do i have a wire grounding out somewhere and can i test that. should i add another ground wire to the engine? i really need this amp to put out enough juice. i got my cb and valentine v1 and sirius radio as the only real add-ons.

• Sponsors (?)

yes. i did go with the 4ga from the post on the alt to the battery side on the starter solenoid.

however, i just reused the same plug from my 2g on the new 3g so i could plug the 2g back in if i need to if an issue arose like this one. i was wondering if i had the yellow wire in the correct place though. i had been doing some searching prior to my post but still want to positive on what was the culperate.

i just got a lifetime warranty from advanced auto. everything tested fine too when i had it checked. its from a 96 taurus. i had a core i took in and go the same back.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=695504&highlight=3g+alternator

i was looking at that diagram in jrichker's post and saw two different things than my install, and some of the other install pics i have seen.

1) there was a groud comming from the back side of the alt. i see the spot on this alt and i do NOT have it currently hooked up. i will do that when i get home.

2) the yellow wire on the A plug goes to the post on the alt. right now i just have it staying on the plug. do i need to fuse it and have it going to the post on the alt?

yes the yellow wire needs to be connected to the alt it detects how many amps/volts are being put out by the alt. It just has to be hooked up to the power wire, I have mine running to the inline 150 amp fuse.

ok. i see that now. for some reason it didnt display the photo at home with that pic in the 3g upgrade thread. i see what i need to do now. basically it just supplying one constant supply from the alt and not upping the dose when i need it. hopefully this solves all my problems. i know its killing the performance on my car with as much drain is on it! thanks for the help

not so much wired wrong, but more or less not switched in the first place. ran out of time last night, but i will get home early tonight to do it.

i dont really have a problem with it charging, its just when i turn on all my electronics that i run into the issues. my rd, scanners and cb really put stress on the system at ngiht when i have my lights and heater on, its even worse