3G alternator install ?'s (not the same old ?)

• Sponsors (?)

not all reman's are remand the same.
That's true. There's a big difference between a motorcraft reman and a duralast reman and both are licensed to remanufacture. The motorcraft reman being mostly all new parts and the duralast being only new bearings, housings, brushes, slip ring and diodes.
But, there's a standard to and a license needed to remanufacture and the above seller isn't there.

Now rebuilt can mean about anything.

I just installed a 3G. The bracket was easy to grind down. I just have to wire it up but it will be next week after I throw on my new heads. Essentially there are only two wires that come out of the 3G. The power, and the ignition wire. The other two wires simply plug themselves back into the 3G itself..Correct?

yeah pretty much. you use your stock 2g regulator plug for the 3g. the 3g comes with a pigtail for the stator wire. the stator wire is the one that you cut off of the 2g plug with the power wires. the stator connection is different on a 3g but the ignition turn-on wire (w/battery light) and the regulator power wire are the same as the 2g.

the 6g eliminates the external stator connection. the same two small wires are used, but with a different plug (newer style).

BTW, when he says "original parts" i think he means oem replacements. :shrug:

I just installed a 3G. The bracket was easy to grind down. I just have to wire it up but it will be next week after I throw on my new heads. Essentially there are only two wires that come out of the 3G. The power, and the ignition wire. The other two wires simply plug themselves back into the 3G itself..Correct?
85s have external regulators. You can eliminate the ext reg by doing the below......

From the 3G's regulator connector
A= Constant hot. You can run this to the power terminal on a 3G alt
S= Stator. This goes to the stator plug
I= Ignition. This goes to an ignition switched hot, the dummy light/volt meter. The green wire going to the external regulator is good.

Then you'll need a fused 4awg wire running from the alts power terminal to the battery positive or pos side of the solenoid.

Running some extra ground will help complete the circuit.

145883.gif