3g Alternator upgrade

Klunky

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2002
Kansas
I just got done with the PA Performance 130amp upgrade...and the 4 gauge charging wire that goes with it. Everything went fine, but when I went to start it up for the first time it kind of squaked for a second. Like the sound of a V-belt slipping or maybe some bearings failing. And then when I'd rev it up it would squeak a little bit each time. But at idle it was sounding perfect.

I was about to get pissed, thinking the bearings were shot in the new alt or something so I shut it off and waited a minute. Then I fired it back up, no noise, took it for a long test drive with no noise...and the mofo is charging just fine. I couldn't believe how bright my headlights were!
Any ideas on the noise and why it disappeared? Think everything is OK???

• Sponsors (?)

Black 93 Fox said:
When i did my underdrive pulleys my belt did that. I put on a new belt and no problem. The belt was slipping. Did you get a new belt when you did the swap?
I would've replaced the belt, but I'm going to be removing the smog pump in just a couple weeks and I'll need a shorter belt for that. I guess I won't worry about it unless it decides to squeak on the new belt. Hopefully it won't.
Your signature quote is funny as hell BTW.

Klunky said:
I would've replaced the belt, but I'm going to be removing the smog pump in just a couple weeks and I'll need a shorter belt for that. I guess I won't worry about it unless it decides to squeak on the new belt. Hopefully it won't.
Your signature quote is funny as hell BTW.

You will really like taking the smog pump out. When I took mine out I was amazed at how much spaced it cleared out by the headers. Plus feels kinda good to take some factory CRAP out.

Thanks on the quote alot of ppl seem to like it..... :nice:

Black 93 Fox

88stangmangt said:
you guys get all excited and jump the gun if it is makeing noise and it went away then could that maybe be cause it is new and is moveing/breaking in for the first time?

My belt was making noise cause it was streched out bad. It was passed the range on the belt tenisoner. Once i put the new belt on the noise went away. Plus the only thing new was the pulleys.

88stangmangt said:
you guys get all excited and jump the gun if it is makeing noise and it went away then could that maybe be cause it is new and is moveing/breaking in for the first time?
Maybe it's because I've installed about 25 other alternators in my lifetime and never had it do that before.

92GreenGT said:
How much is the kit from PA Performance? I am to tired to look it up right now.:rlaugh: Is there anything different when installing it with a supercharger?

Dave
The alternator, long wire upgrade, shipping and everything was exactly $250. They cut you a break on shipping if you buy the 2 things together.
I have no idea about the supercharger question...the dude I talked to seemed pretty smart though...just give them a call.

Klunky said:
The alternator, long wire upgrade, shipping and everything was exactly $250. They cut you a break on shipping if you buy the 2 things together.
I have no idea about the supercharger question...the dude I talked to seemed pretty smart though...just give them a call.
Will do, just wanted to see what you paid. I got my mini-starter from them. I highly recommend them.:nice:

Dave

Save $75 or more and use a 3G from your local auto parts store. With some luck, you can turn in your old alt for the core.

Here's websites with pictures of the 3G installation proceedure...

See http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm - all the tech data you could ever want to know
OR
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/paperformance/index2.shtml
OR
http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html - excellent pictures of installation

For the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.