3g install problems

bdub

Sep 21, 2007
kinston
i tried to install my 3g alternator today and ran into nothing but problems, i got everything all wired up and started the car to notice the volts being extemely low, and the amp light on, so i got out and looked at the alternator and felt it had a lot of heat coming from it after only being ran for less than 30 seconds, i check all my connections and everything was fine, even installed the 4g ground wire, only thing that was out of the norm to me was that the white wire with the black stripes that you splice was the same exact wire that ran to the other plug that hooks to the alternator, any help would be nice

• Sponsors (?)

there seem to be two different ways to wire up a 3g for a 5.0, which was very confusing for me whn i was doing this a couple months ago. theyre not the same.

jrichker(sp?), who is a VERY knowledgable and trustowrthy guy, advised me with another huge copied-and-pasted post to wire it a certain way, but i found that that pretty much grounded my battery to the car. all my wires got extremely hot, and the battery compeltely discharged. this sounds similar to what your experiencing, though i couldnt start my car at all.

regardless, my fix was to use the BC Bronco diagram, which is apparently only for trucks or early 5.0 mustangs or something, but it has worked for my '93 for several months now. absolutely a great upgrade.

if you dont know what im talking about with the differences between the wiring diagrams, check that 3g sticky thread.

good luck!