3G Stator Plug Question

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
I have a PA Performance 3G alt kit on my mustang and its always been a pain to plug in the stator plug and have it stay connected. It actually put me on the side of the road becuase it came unplugged on the trip and my battery died while driving. Luckily a buddy was in our convoy with booster cables so we plugged it back in and boosted it off and finished the trip. I just switched over to a Hellion turbo kit which uses the Vortech bracket that locates the alt to the bottom of the car, and this makes the stator plug even more difficult to plug in. I just got the car finished a few days ago and have been driving it etc and last night my battery died as soon as I got the car in the garage. Does any part stores sell the plug or can it only be bought at PA Performance (http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=54 )? I'm going to buy a new one and solder it in and see how that helps. How hard is it to plug up on everyone elses alternators? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

its easy on mine! sounds like the little clip that holds it in is broken and it keeps falling out on you! just get a new one a solder it on like you said that should take care of it falling off! let us know how you make out! you should be able to buy the wire at a parts store or go to the weckers and clip one off of a wrecked car!

Dave, You might be able to pinch the female terminal a little bit so it fits tighter.

I'm not sure about getting a stator harness locally (other than a J/Y). You can certainly use an insulated spade connector soldered to wire (to make your own).

If I had an extra one, I'd send it to you. They're so relatively expensive, I only bought the one I needed (the grey plastic was gone on my old one).

Good luck bud, and bump for folks knowing if the plug can be had locally.

Well I went out there and messed with it, I believe I got it in right now. It seems real tight so I doubt it will be coming out again.

I've got a battery light on the instrument cluster now that wont turn off. I charged my battery and it starts the car easy and everything. What does the battery light mean when it wont go off? Thanks!

The regulator's I terminal provides a ground path when the alternator is not charging adequately (around 10.5-11.0 volts is when it seems to come on in my experience). I'd check your battery voltage (it's probably 12.6ish volts). Then start the car and see what it is. If it's higher, the alt is working in some capacity.

That ignition circuit (I-circuit) starts at the ignition switch. The wire goes to the idiot light and through a 500 Ohm resistor (in parallel) and onto the regulator. If you disconnect the regulator plug and turn the key on, does the light come on? If so, I'd be lookin for a short in the I-circuit wire itself.

Otherwise, I might be thinking bad regulator. I know they can fail where they work fine but the reg does not provide a ground path when the alt is unexcited. I dont think it can fail the opposite way however and still work. Kevin?

Ehh I must of not got it plugged in correctly becuase im only at 11.9-12.0 volts at idle and when the car is off. I guess thats what you get when your trying to plug something in without actually being under the car.:lol: Im going to have to charge the battery tonight and jack the car up and get the stator plug figured out tomorrow. Thanks guys, will report back with what I figure out.

I'm not too sure on the warning light as to when it kicks on. Check to see if the stator wire is getting power. If not try jumping a power wire to it.

Have you recently been doing any work to your gauge cluster? If it is unhooked, it will not send voltage to the stator wire.

It just needs to see power when the ignition is on.

You can use a female type connector, like a speaker connector, and crimp it tight like JT mentioned.

I personally would order one of these 3G plug kits to end the worries.
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=7

And with having a Hellion turbo kit, what's an extra $20?

I have been trying to order that Harness from them for close to 3 Months now, I have called more times than I can count and they wont return the call, I have emailed them several times and they have never responded, not sure if they are still even in business.

FWIW I ordered from them about 3 months ago and it went pretty smooth. I didnt need to talk to 'em and just ordered though.

Just a quick refresher on the regulator plug (for quick diagnostics):

A = the sense input. It should see battery voltage or within 1/2 volt of battery voltage.

I = the ignition input we've been talkin about.

S = stator loop. The stator wire from your old rec plug needs to go to the lone port on the 3G casing. You can make your own stator loop if you have doubts about the wiring.

Good luck Dave.

I have been trying to order that Harness from them for close to 3 Months now, I have called more times than I can count and they wont return the call, I have emailed them several times and they have never responded, not sure if they are still even in business.
Hmmm. I ordered a few things for a friend a few months back and they came OK.

I didn't call, just ordered online. :shrug:

I'm not sure how well they are about the phones. I never called them. I just ordered online. FWIW.

I am not a Fan of putting my CC info into the Computer, plus I wanted to add something to the Order that is not listed on their Site. I called and left a Message again Yesterday and Emailed them and they still havent got back.