3G Upgrade

YLWSTANG

Jun 23, 2002
Mass
I started doing the 3G upgrade on my 89 LX. I have the alternator out of a 96 Taurus the mega fuse and holder from a 96 F150. I have 4 Gauge battery cable cut and sleeved. Have to use a 90 degree insulator because the taurus alt has a mounting boss for a bracket it gets in the way after the alt is clocked. Cut it off the first time that was a mistake, good thing i had a 2nd rear cover.
1st Ques. : I've seen the setup 2 ways for fuse location near the alternator and near the seloniod, does it really matter?
2nd Ques. Why leave the Black/Orange 10 gauge wire hooked to the seloniod or even in the car? You can cut the yellow/white wire put an eye on it and attach it to the alternator out put. This is electrically the same point as the other end of the cable at the seloniod.
photostream

photostream

• Sponsors (?)

I started doing the 3G upgrade on my 89 LX. I have the alternator out of a 96 Taurus the mega fuse and holder from a 96 F150. I have 4 Gauge battery cable cut and sleeved. Have to use a 90 degree insulator because the taurus alt has a mounting boss for a bracket it gets in the way after the alt is clocked. Cut it off the first time that was a mistake, good thing i had a 2nd rear cover.
1st Ques. : I've seen the setup 2 ways for fuse location near the alternator and near the seloniod, does it really matter?
2nd Ques. Why leave the Black/Orange 10 gauge wire hooked to the seloniod or even in the car? You can cut the yellow/white wire put an eye on it and attach it to the alternator out put. This is electrically the same point as the other end of the cable at the seloniod.

The yellow wire is the sense wire and supply for the voltage regulator. It senses the voltage drop across the two 10 gauge wires to insure that there is always the correct voltage to charge the battery. Most people leave the stock wiring in place because it is simpler to do it that way. I left mine in place with the stock plug on it so that i could swap the stock alternator back on in an emergency.

attachment.php